Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I delete unsollicited e-mail or move it to junk? Does iOS learn from moving a message to junk?

I can delete unsollicited e-mail easily in Mail under iOS. Done.

Moving them to Junk to then eventually find them in the Junk mailbox and delete them requires more actions. Why bother?

Am I training the Junk filter to consider messages with similarities automagically as junk in the future? Are there reports going out to providers to shut down botnets? That would make it worthwhile. Or is it only there as an extra buffer in case I moved a sollicted message to junk by accident?

It is a mystery to me. Please enlighten us all!

iPhone SE

Posted on Aug 4, 2020 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 5:40 PM

Hello ReindeR Rustema,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having questions about how the junk folder works, and about filtration on the Mail app.

The following link provides information about how that works regarding the iCloud mail:

Identify and filter junk mail in iCloud

If you're asking about mail accounts other than your iCloud account, check with your email service provider to see what filtering options they have.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2020 5:40 PM in response to ReindeR Rustema

Hello ReindeR Rustema,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having questions about how the junk folder works, and about filtration on the Mail app.

The following link provides information about how that works regarding the iCloud mail:

Identify and filter junk mail in iCloud

If you're asking about mail accounts other than your iCloud account, check with your email service provider to see what filtering options they have.

Cheers!

Aug 8, 2020 1:51 AM in response to sterling r

Hello R Sterling!

Thank you for the link you gave me to "Identify and filter junk mail in iCloud." It explains to me the difference between marking e-mail als Junk versus directly deleting it. I understand that marking uncollicited e-mail as Junk mail works as I was hoping for **only when using iCloud**.

To conform to local jurisdiction and my corporation policy I do not use iCloud but an address under a domain I own and with an internet provider in my local jurisdiction. So, it is not an option to migrate to iCloud for reasons that are not technical.

Whatever options my local provider has, it will not have access to the information provided by my action to mark e-mail as Junk in Mail because that is the technology from Apple, through iCloud. That is what I understand from the article you suggested.

Practically, it is therefore of no use to go through the extra hassle to mark e-mail as Junk. Neither iCloud nor my ISP will get any intel from it. From now on I will just plain vanilla delete it.

Cheers!

Should I delete unsollicited e-mail or move it to junk? Does iOS learn from moving a message to junk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.