Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do email addresses in the Previous Recipients list affect marking and moving iCloud mail to Junk?

This Apple Support article describes how to do exactly as its title says:

Report and reduce spam in iCloud Mail - Apple Support

... where it says:

"To make sure future messages from the same sender are marked as junk, you can report messages as junk in the Mail app.

... On your iPhone or iPad, swipe left on a message, tap more, then tap Move to Junk."

I.e., on my iPhone, when I swipe left on a message I see the following. Where I can tap on Move to Junk:

Question: if I do this (tap on Move to Junk), will new incoming email messages from the same sender automatically be moved from Inbox to Junk? Irregardless of whether the sender's address is on the Previous Recipients list or not?

[I do know that if I tap on Block Sender instead, that new incoming email messages from the same sender are automatically moved from Inbox to Trash. Unless the sender's address is in the Previous Recipients list. And not incidentally, that's a list I cannot see (or Edit) from my iPhone; that list is only visible from Mail on a Mac.]

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 7:57 AM

Hey bob32,

Thank you for this information. Based on all the troubleshooting you have done already, we would recommend you continue by reaching out to contact Apple Support directly for more specific assistance with this issue.

Regards.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 29, 2023 7:11 PM in response to jmarse1

Appreciate the correction. The menu I showed is the menu produced by touching and holding the email message. The menu shown when swiping left and subsequently clicking on More (...) is a little different.

Although for trying to control junk (spam), there are still those two choices:

Move to Junk per

Report and reduce spam in iCloud Mail - Apple Support

Or, Block Sender per, for example:

Block phone numbers, contacts, and emails on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Two different options which seem to have different, though similar(?) effects.

I'm trying to figure out what the differences are, and when to use which. As far as I can tell:

Move to Junk should move subsequent junk mail to Junk, but sometimes may not

Block will usually moves subsequent blocked mail to Trash, unless the sender is in the Previous Recipients list.

What I don't know yet is if being on that list also stops subsequent junk mail from automatically being moved from Inbox to Junk. Does it?

Jan 29, 2023 5:53 PM in response to bob32

Hi bob32,

We'll be glad to help. The menu you're showing there is not accessible by swiping on an email in your inbox. That list shows when an email is 3D touched as outlined in this article: Change 3D or Haptic Touch sensitivity on your iPhone - Apple Support

If you're keeping your finger on it too long, it may be registering as a 3D Touch instead of swiping to the left. We'd recommend changing the 3D Touch setting to slow (as shown in the article) if you haven't already, as it may stop this from happening.

We hope this helps.

Cheers.

Do email addresses in the Previous Recipients list affect marking and moving iCloud mail to Junk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.