Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Metal-GPU for Mac Pro 3,1 (2008)

Hi,

I'ld like to replace my original graphic card HD2600XT!

Any recommended Metal-GPU that perfectly work on my Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) ?

Appreciate in advance 😊

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 8:51 AM

Similar questions

33 replies

Aug 8, 2020 12:27 PM in response to mactreouser

I've been running a GTX 770 in my cMP 3,1 for a while now and it's been great. Recently I stopped using the Nvidia drivers in favor of the ones built into OSX :)

Here's a screen shot from my system info, note the ROM version and the field below that:

From what I've read of others' experiences you'll see great improvements with any of the other compatible cards listed on that site linked above by Eau Rouge.

Good luck!

Aug 7, 2020 8:58 AM in response to mactreouser

Are you trying to update to Catalina? You can’t, your hardware isn’t supported.

I wouldn’t see the point in upgrading to a metal GPU,

but if you want a metal GPU, Try Nvidia Kepler cards.

NVIDIA GTX 680

gtx7/8/9, and ATI 79xx, R7/R9 XXX

Still I wouldn’t see the point;

Youre stuck at El Capitan;

If you are probably interested in installing unsupported macOS .. you can’t do that, it isn’t allowed...

Try a Radeon 5870, it’s in my Mac Pro 1,1 and works fine...

Aug 7, 2020 10:12 AM in response to Christian_Grenier

Wow... There are a ton of choices?! That's cool!

Keep trying is what I can do now... This superb machine still working fine, If I could do a little upgrade to make it run better, why not, right?

Btw,

"NVIDIA GTX 680

gtx7/8/9, and ATI 79xx, R7/R9 XXX"

Any of them will work perfectly good on Mac Pro 3,1? And which one is the best & cheaper to go? I'm quite knowledgeless about GPU 😅

Aug 8, 2020 3:58 AM in response to Christian_Grenier

Hahaha 😂

We keep the Legendary Machines running, why they wanna ban us? We have to find a way out since they stop support, wasn't it? Still, those machines weren't cheap, how can we just simply set aside and throw another dollars for new one? Unless the old one is dead!

Btw, thanks for your suggestion, I'm really appreciate!🙏

Hmm...seems GTX 680 quite popular for Old Mac Pro! But I'm curious whether there is Mac Version in the market? Or, FLASH is a must?

Aug 10, 2020 12:53 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for concerning a out scamming seller 😄👍🏻

I should be safe! Card as you mentioned,pulled out from a PC that he repairing and Flashed for Mac (using software from Macvidcards). It's a well-known repair shop (especially Mac Repair).

In fact, I have no idea about the price, that's why your opinion is important to me! Still, mine is hd2600xt super old card, worth to spend few hundred dollars for the Old Card to replace my Super Old one? Haha.

But the point still Metal Support! Yes, just confirmed with seller, it's Metal Support!

Metal-GPU for Mac Pro 3,1 (2008)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.