Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having Issue with Kernel Panic

Hi Everyone!

So I have read around on different threads but haven't been able to figure out anything to help. I have been having pretty consistent kernel panics and have erased and reinstalled OS, replaced battery, but still have it on occasion. It has gotten better, but it does still happen. I am also missing a portion of my HD that I partitioned for bootcamp. There is 100GB that does not show up at all even after the restore. I have gone through other threads to see how to get it back, but it seems a little over my head based off of other people's walkthroughs for their particular situations. The laptop also gets very hot at the back left side of laptop just running chrome with memory clean in the background, so pretty minimal. I am not sure if its an issue with overheating or not.

Really hoping to get this figured out and appreciate any and all help.

Thanks again for any help!

Paul S.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 7, 2020 9:08 PM

Similar questions

32 replies

Aug 7, 2020 9:20 PM in response to paulwolf01

Dealing with Kernel Panics

Disconnect any third-party peripherals including any USB hubs. How to use safe mode on your Mac, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support then boot the computer into Safe Mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support and Playing Safe- what does Safe mode do? See Diagnosing problems- crash, freeze, panic, or spinning beach ball?, Don’t Panic! Understanding & Troubleshooting Kernel Panics in macOSHow to fix kernel panics after installing OS X updates | MacIssues, and If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support.

Kernel panics are indicative of possible hardware failure, so you should Check your Mac with hardware diagnostics or AHT. Kernel panic logs are found in: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder.

If you have no success figuring what is happening then you may need to examine the software you have running when the panics occur. Be sure it’s all current. If you must to resolve the problem erase the disk and reinstall macOS. Follow this outline to reset the computer to the factory-new state: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support.

Boot Into Safe Mode

1. If your Mac isn’t already shut down, then shut it down and wait at least 30 seconds before rebooting.
  2. Immediately, at or before the chime, press and hold down the SHIFT key. 
  3. Release the key after the Apple logo and progress bar appear.
  4. Safe mode startup is much slower than normal startup, so be patient.
  5. When the Login Screen appears enter your admin password. If you use automatic login, then this means you are in safe mode.

Aug 9, 2020 12:50 PM in response to paulwolf01

What you posted is not a kernel panic, it is a crash log for a single process, apsd, due to a NULL pointer dereference.

That generally indicates a program bug somewhere, so it never hurts to inform Apple Support of it directly:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Because it was just an application crash, it is unlikely your nvram commands had any effect on the situation.

If you do contact Apple Support, please tell them that apsd crashed, not that you had a kernel panic.

Aug 9, 2020 12:54 PM in response to paulwolf01

<<just running chrome with memory clean in the background>>

Chrome-

is the most notorious resource hog in common usage on Macs today. You are not "just running Chrome" you have signed up for the resource-eating way of life that Chrome forces you to adopt.

You would be FAR better served by running a Browser that has been updated more recently, such as Firefox or Safari. These run faster with a far smaller resource load.

Memory clean-

I don't know what that is, but I do know that the makers of your Mac and its OS are not "holding out on you". Anything that could possibly make your Mac run faster and better has already been included as a part of MacOS.

This means that any third-party thing you ADD, has got to make your Mac run LESS well and be LESS stable. Remove that Dreck and NEVER re-Install it.

That alone could be the cause of your crashes.

Aug 9, 2020 1:10 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the responses. I have tried running safari over chrome and it still happens. I have done a full erase and install of OS and r still happens. I can try deleting memory clean and see if that helps, but all it is does it free up memory from unused and cached sources. I have used it for years with no issues before this started.

Two things:

1) a partition I created years ago is now gone along with the entire storage that I allocated for it.

2) when running AHT I get error code 4MEM/9/40000000: 0xa5b36a98

i haven’t been able to find this code online but from other people with the 4MEM it seems like it could be a RAM or HD issue.

As as far as what I posted not being a kernel report, I just assumed it was a kernel panic from looking up the warning message “your computer restarted because of an issue...” so if it’s not a kernel panic and just the apsd crashing what does that mean from the 2 thing so listed above, or does it not have any connection?

Thanks again for taking the time

Aug 9, 2020 1:20 PM in response to paulwolf01

<<error code 4MEM/9/40000000: 0xa5b36a98>>

4MEM is a definitely RAM MEMory error code. It is not at all ambiguous. You have defective RAM, so no wonder your Mac is crashing.

There is no point in debugging further until you RAM Memory problem is fixed.

Your MacBook Pro 2010 model with Dual Graphics (15 or 17 in) is limited to at most 8GB total across its two memory sockets.

Aug 14, 2020 9:43 AM in response to paulwolf01

System model name: MacBookPro6,2 15-in 2010.

That model MacBook Pro had some problems with its Discrete GPU failing, and MacOS not noticing until there was a kernel panic condition like your reported "GPU panic". There was a recall, long since expired.

Some Users who are not using External displays or doing Editing have obtain some relief by applying a hobbyist hack that shuts down the Discrete GPU completely, and using just the Integrated Intel GPU. it still generally performs OK, but in some case, the computer can not be put to SLEEP, or it crashes.

We are discouraged from Volunteering such hacks unless you ask for them.

Aug 14, 2020 12:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I would be interested in doing this. I looked up what you are talking about and saw a thread on it. I’m not sure how I never came across it before. I turned off auto-switching graphics, but I do notice that it starts to get very hot just using safari.

The thread i was reading says it started getting worse with an update to OS. Is there a way to go to an older version to resolve it? I never had it happen until I updated about 2 years ago.

Aug 14, 2020 12:11 PM in response to paulwolf01

Read everything before you do anything. This is a collection of solutions, not a single procedure.

Install gfxCardStatus (https://gfx.io) and set it to "i" (integrated graphics only). It will allow your MBP to run on integrated graphics only, bypassing the discrete GPU which has the issues. This may allow your MBP to run normally, although it will have reduced graphics performance when permforming demanding graphics tasks. The alternative is replacing the logic board, which is not cost effective on a machine that old, unless gfx does not resolve the issue and you really want to keep this MBP.

There is an acknowledged bug in the current version of Cody Kreiger's Open-Source gfxcardstatus, and the developer has confessed he does not have time to fix it right now.

There is a fork off the main build by steveschow available that seems to fix that problem for current versions of MacOS such as ElCapitan and Sierra. He provides a finished .app for direct download -- you do not have to compile anything.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases

Also note that if your Mac does not run long enough to allow gfxcardstatus to be added, this is not really practical.

In addition, Steve Schow writes that he has abandoned further development -- because there are better solutions available [for both the 2010 model and 2011 models].

2010 model:

I have discontinued use of gfxCardStatus to solve the MBP kernel panic problem as the issue is better solved on 2010 models with the nVidia GPU by the following hack:

https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix.

2011 model:

the use of ArchLinux bootable CD to gain access to and re-write the EFI on the drive, and permanently disable the discrete graphics chip. This page and scroll down past the list to the blog:

http://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus

There are two similar procedure listed. I used the second from MacRumors as it seemed easier. I have made the Arch Linux bootable CD on another Mac, and tried this approach. I now have a perfectly-functioning MacBook Pro late 2011 15-in model with Discrete Graphics disabled. Runs just fine. But NO external display support any more.

--------

There is a completely different hack developed more recently. It requires only single-User mode to get started, then type a complicated string into NVRAM, then disable System Integrity Protection and run an additional little program (direct-download link provided there) to make the change semi-permanent.

http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/

.or a similar procedure with a bit more manual work:

Power up and boot into Single User Recovery by holding

if you are on high sierra 10.13.6+ you might need to use Command + r instead

Command + r + s

Disable SIP (This takes a bit to complete so wait for it)

csrutil disable

Disable Discrete GPU on boot by running

nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

Enable verbose boot mode (This will show text everytime you boot up, shutdown or restart your mac)

nvram boot-args="-v"

Reboot

reboot

Boot into Single User-mode by holding

Command + s + r

It might look as if it hanged, but press enter and you should see the shell (root#)

Mount root partition writeable

/sbin/mount -uw /

Make a kext-backup directory

mkdir -p /System/Library/Extensions-off

Move ONLY ONE offending kext out of the way

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext /System/Library/Extensions-off/

Inform the system to update its kextcache:

touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Reboot

reboot

It will show a bunch of text in the screen (don't be alarmed, let it finish) and then it will restart again In second restart it will show text in the screen again and then it will show normal login screen Your computer now should work properly (dGPU off and iGPU on.

Aug 14, 2020 11:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So if he discontinued it and feels the nVidia fix is better should I use that one? Not sure if you have tried it or know anyone who has.

the main thing I’m using right now is a web based website builder. I use illustrator and photoshop on occasion, but with this fix will I not be able to? If not it’s fine I have a separate computer I could use.

Aug 15, 2020 6:17 AM in response to paulwolf01

The povidien fix assumes that the problem is the Voltage is kept too low and the Discrete GPU needs to be kept on Warm standby instead of Cold standby until it is needed. So it increases the standby Voltage and uses a little more power at idle.

If this works for you, no features are lost except battery-only time is slightly reduced.

All others are more Draconian. Most disable the Discrete GPU entirely, but save all features except External Displays and ability to Sleep. They force the Integrated Intel GPU to do all the work, so heavy graphics like photo editing would be slower, but do-able.

Aug 17, 2020 12:54 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I would like to do the poidevin version, but when viewing on github how do I go about installing it? I see multiple different things, but not sure which one is the correct one. The readme does not have much information in it as far as getting started. Also, it says that SIP needs to be disabled at all times. Is this something that would happen through terminal?

Having Issue with Kernel Panic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.