Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Read Receipt has never been turned on, but people can see when I've read their texts

iPhone 8 Plus. Latest OS version. Read receipt for iMessages has never been turned on, but several people have shown me (on their iPhones. Different phones. Different OSs) that they can see when I've read their iMessage. How is this possible? And how do I change it?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2020 7:33 PM

Hmm, I'm not really finding much when searching around for others with similar issues.. So I'm gonna be kinda winging this

Are you around or connected with someone that you can test this with now?

What if you turn that switch ON, send a couple of texts, then turn it off and try again?

What if you then turn the switch off and do a force reset of your phone. The following link will have instructions for how to do the hard reset

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

Once the phone is back up, try sending message again and see if it's working correctly.

If still not, the next thing I'd try is turning off the iMessage switch. Wait a few minutes, then turn iMessage back on and let it activate. Try texting again.

If none of this works, I'm not sure what else to try.. maybe someone else will post in with suggestions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2020 7:33 PM in response to CoachSue

Hmm, I'm not really finding much when searching around for others with similar issues.. So I'm gonna be kinda winging this

Are you around or connected with someone that you can test this with now?

What if you turn that switch ON, send a couple of texts, then turn it off and try again?

What if you then turn the switch off and do a force reset of your phone. The following link will have instructions for how to do the hard reset

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412

Once the phone is back up, try sending message again and see if it's working correctly.

If still not, the next thing I'd try is turning off the iMessage switch. Wait a few minutes, then turn iMessage back on and let it activate. Try texting again.

If none of this works, I'm not sure what else to try.. maybe someone else will post in with suggestions

Aug 8, 2020 7:26 PM in response to Chris0107

Went to Settings > Messages > and "Send Read Receipts" was grey (off).

Other people's phones say give a time when I read their message. I tested this while I was with them - they sent me a message. Their phone said "delivered." I waited a few minutes, then opened their message. When we looked at their phone, it showed a time (which was accurate) of when I read the message.

Read Receipt has never been turned on, but people can see when I've read their texts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.