Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Circle View Camera not recording on HomeKit

I have a Circle View (and also two Circle 2’s) which I set up to work with Apple Homekit on 1st July and everything worked perfectly. However, about a week ago all three cameras stopped recording (but continued streaming live). I have uninstalled the cameras and reinstalled them, I have also tried resetting and reinstalling them, but this has not worked. Things have now got worse, I can currently see a live stream when on my wi-Fi (ie when at home) but no recording. But if I turn off wi-Fi and use 4G I cannot connect to the cameras at all? I am really stuck, can you help please?

Note: All Camera software is updated to the latest releases, I have an Apple TV 4K which has the latest IOS update. I have an iCloud 2Tb account.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 11:56 AM

Hi SiWelch,

We understand that your Circle View cameras have stopped recording, and we'll provide as much help as we can. To clarify, do you only have the Apple TV 4K available as a HomeKit hub, or is there another device such as a HomePod or iPad that could be used?

When you have a chance, we encourage you to check out the resource below, just to make sure everything is set up correctly.

Use HomeKit Secure Video

If you don't have access to another device that can be used as a hub, have you tried restarting the Apple TV? While this seems like a simple step, it can resolve a large number of issues like this one.

Please let us know!

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2020 11:56 AM in response to SiWelch

Hi SiWelch,

We understand that your Circle View cameras have stopped recording, and we'll provide as much help as we can. To clarify, do you only have the Apple TV 4K available as a HomeKit hub, or is there another device such as a HomePod or iPad that could be used?

When you have a chance, we encourage you to check out the resource below, just to make sure everything is set up correctly.

Use HomeKit Secure Video

If you don't have access to another device that can be used as a hub, have you tried restarting the Apple TV? While this seems like a simple step, it can resolve a large number of issues like this one.

Please let us know!

Oct 10, 2020 1:00 AM in response to SiWelch

SiWelch,

OMG, your solution FIXED MY ISSUE!!! Thank you sooo much! You're the master. HOW DID YOU FIGURE IT OUT since no one online seemed to know?

I have a Logitech Circle View camera with multiple hubs (3 Apple TVs & 1 HomePod) and never could get the recording feature/functionality to be visible or work on any Apple device since I added the 200GB iCloud plan today.

I tried all of the standard troubleshooting steps people list online like;

• Insuring my hubs and devices have the latest Apple updates --- DIDN'T work
  • Adjusting and then readjusting ALL of the Homekit settings relating to recording and notifications etc. --- DIDN'T work
  • Removing the camera from Homekit then pressing the button on the camera for 9 seconds, then trying to re-add the camera back to Homekit --- DIDN'T work
  • Then I tried the same steps again, but this time pressing the button on the camera for over 30 seconds --- DIDN'T work

Your solution helped me realize that my Mesh Wi-Fi network was the problem, which combines both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz into one SSID and automatically picks the best frequency for each of my devices. In most cases that was 5 GHz, therefor NONE of my hubs were using 2.4 GHz. Your solution helped me figure-out that not only does the camera use 2.4 GHz (which I already knew) but that the hub it's using MUST ALSO BE USING 2.4 GHz, even if the combined wi-fi SSID name is the same for both bands. This problem is going to affect a lot of people since Mesh networks are very popular now.

I haven't found a way yet with my router or devices to force the use of the 2.4 GHz band for my hubs so, for now I had to do the same as you and turn off the broadcasting of my 5 GHz SSID (even though BOTH bands actually use the same SSID). It's more of a trick actually. I'll try this out for a while as long as it doesn't affect my wi-fi on the whole for all my devices. I really wish there was a way with my router to tell it what wi-fi band I want to use for each of my devices, but so far haven't seen that feature on it anywhere in it's settings.

The main thing here is that your solution helped me confirm that the recording feature/functionality DOES WORK but "ONLY IF" the connected hub (Apple TV, HomePod or iPad) is ALSO connected to a 2.4 GHz band (like the Circle View camera is by default). The moral to this story is that it's simply NOT enough to have the camera and hub on the same Wi-Fi network, they ALSO HAVE TO BE ON THE SAME FREQUENCY BAND OF THE SAME WI-FI NETWORK. Ugh!

It's important to also note that the devices that you use to view your camera and recordings (like your iPhone, iPad or Apple TV) should still work fine even if they are on the 5 GHz band (as long as the iPad or Apple TV are NOT also your currently "Connected" hub in the Home app (Homekit).

Oct 18, 2020 1:34 PM in response to mac_in_tosh

SiWelch and mac_in_tosh, I have to thank you both for doing a lot of the troubleshooting here...

I started my adventure with my Circle View last weekend and thankfully found your thread!

I have two Apple TV 4K at home (one of which is connected via Ethernet, the other over WiFi). My home network a Unifi setup with two wireless APs that broadcast a combined 2.4 & 5GHz SSID. I set up the camera and everything went well. When I tried to change the recording options to Stream and Allow Recording the loading wheel would be 'stuck' and the setting would never change.

There weren't many threads about this online, so I tried pretty much everything you did and nothing worked. I got on the phone with Apple, explained them what was going on and all the troubleshooting that I went through. At first, they tried to tell me that the camera was the issue and that I had to contact Logitech about it and use their supported app to setup the camera. I explained that the camera was only HomeKit Secure Video compatible and that there was in fact no app for it other than the Apple Home app. I described my exact networking setup and we did some basic troubleshooting over the phone. The missing piece for me here was the HomePod. I wasn't able to 100% reproduce what you had mentioned because I didn't own one. They shipped me a HomePod and after setting it up, I was able to have the Stream and Allow Recording functionality to work on my camera. I left it for a couple of days and now I successfully have recordings in the cloud and it's able to alert me of the different types of motion (animal vs. person vs. vehicle)...

Here's how I got it to work for me:

• Created a new 2.4GHz only SSID that is broadcast from only one of my two wireless access points.
  • Connected the HomePod and Circle View to this 2.4GHz wifi network.
  • Disabled home hub functionality in each of the two AppleTVs (without doing so, the connected hub always reverted back to either of the Apple TVs instead of the home hub.)

I'm still in contact with them. I let them know that my issue is resolved and everything is working as it should now. I am however, not letting this issue close right away, I'd like to see a solution from apple for this problem. I'm still in contact with their team over email to see this through. I don't believe that people should have to go through all this trouble to get a camera to record video to their iCloud. The requirements are clear on the Circle View's product page on the Apple store:

"HomeKit requirements:

Set up Circle View in the Home app on an iPhone with iOS 13.2 or later / iPad with iPadOS 13.2 or later.

HomeKit Secure Video requires a home hub (HomePod / Apple TV with tvOS 13.2 or later / iPad with iPadOS 13.2 or later) for remote live viewing and notifications, recording history, automations and intelligent detections.

A supported iCloud plan to store history — one camera on 200GB plan / up to 5 cameras on 2TB plan (plans subject to change)."

Thanks again for your detailed thread and troubleshooting, it definitely helped me out here. Hopefully we can see a fix soon!

Aug 15, 2020 11:23 PM in response to PanHrabia

I have sorted out my issues and now all is working as it should be. It seems that the cameras only work on the 2.4 Gh Wi-Fi frequency (and my router is dual band which also has a 5 Gh frequency). Somehow (and I am not sure why) either the cameras or the Apple TV (which was wired by Ethernet cable to my router) seemed to have got onto the wrong frequency and screwed things up. It is essential that everything is on the same Wi-Fi channel.

So to fix thus I deinstalled the cameras from HomeKit and reset them. I turned off the 5Gh channel on my router and connected the Apple TV by Wi-Fi (not Ethernet cable). I then reconnected the cameras (so now everything was on the same 2.4 Gh wi-Fi) and magically everything worked.

Finally I reconnected the Ethernet cable and it all still works perfectly.

I hope this helps.

Aug 12, 2020 12:05 AM in response to karina184

Hi, Thank you for your initial suggestions. I have an Apple TV acting as my HomeKit Hub (this is fully updated With latest IOS) It is connected directly to my Router by Ethernet. I have restarted it, and powered it off, but this made no difference. I have also re-set and reconnected the cameras (2 x Circle 2, and 1x Circle View). This has also made no difference. As before I can see the cameras streeming (when I am on wi-fi, but they are not recording. But when I go off wi-fi and onto 4G I get “No response. The camera is not responding”

All other accessories (Smart plugs etc) work as expected. This is only a camera issue.

I do have an iPad Pro 2018 and an iPhoneXR but have never used these as a HomeKit hub as I take them off site regularly.

Oct 18, 2020 10:47 PM in response to philspot4298

I'm very happy to hear that you got it working! Great job for hanging in there.

I wish Logitech & Apple would mention that not only does your camera and hub have to be on the same Wi-Fi network, but ALSO the same 2.4 GHz band. I also don't recall seeing that info on the box or in their product pages.

I'm curious, what was the reason you had to buy the HomePod for this setup? You should be able to use just one of your Apple TV 4K's (the one that's connected via Wi-Fi) and force it to connect to your 2.4 GHz band. That should be enough to allow for the recording functionality to work. You shouldn't need the HomePod, unless you just wanted a HomePod.

I have a HomePod and it's listed as one of my 4 possible hubs (3 Apple TVs & 1 HomePod), but it's not required. My default hub is an Apple TV 4K which I've forced over to use my 2.4 GHz band and recording now works.

I saw some references online to devices like these that ONLY require the same Wi-Fi/same 2.4 GHz band during INITIAL setup (and NOT there after), so I'm wondering if it's the same with the Circle View camera and Apple Secure Video recording??? I haven't tested this however, so I'm not sure.

Currently, my Apple TV 4K hub is still connected to 2.4 GHz and of course the recording still works. BUT, what would happen if I move my default hub back to 5 GHz??? The million dollar question, would recording STILL work there after (even if none of my hubs are on 2.4 GHz after initial setup)???

If you test this, let me know the results as I would really like to re-enable the 5 GHz SSID broadcasting again on my Wi-Fi network as long as it doesn't break the recording feature of the Circle View camera.

All the best!

Oct 19, 2020 2:36 AM in response to mac_in_tosh

I also had lengthy discussions with various Apple support staff (including a Manager). They were hopeless and thoroughly lacking in knowledge. I knew much more than them. They just blamed Logitech! My discussions with Logitech are still ongoing as I am still having occasional disconnect issues, but I have given up with Apple.

What I find most peculiar is that the older Circle 2 cameras connect (and work) in both 2.4 & 5 GHz but the new Circle View seems to only work in 2.4 GHz. And at the price they charge for it these issues are unacceptable.

Oct 19, 2020 1:33 PM in response to SiWelch

I have nearly the same same setup (just 2 instead of 1 Circle View) but have exactly the same issue. The cameras worked perfectly fine for many month, just recently the Circle View cameras do not record anymore. The cameras are at my summer home and I won't be there much over the next few month so the cameras are basically useless if they are not recording. Similarly, I have removed them from the home, reset the camera, added it back to the home with no change, still not recording for about a week now. Very frustrating.

Oct 20, 2020 5:06 PM in response to SiWelch

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread...

To answer mac_in_tosh's question: I didn't actually buy a HomePod to get it working, during the call, the rep at Apple I was speaking with decided to send one to me for the purpose of troubleshooting and told me to keep it (I was pleasantly surprised!?)...

I'm also surprised that you've all been able to get your Apple TV's working with your Circle View cameras. I had tried everything you listed above before receiving the HomePod and nothing made it work.. Are you all updated to tvOS 14.x ?

Also wanted to relate this back to how weird it is that while the camera is connected on the same network as the hub, it needs to be using the same wifi frequency as the hub. The circle view that I've been talking about is actually at my parents' house... At my house, I have a Circle 2 with the HomeKit Secure Video firmware installed on it and I've never had any problems with it (other that it sometimes doesn't record audio with the video)... My Apple TV (4th gen, not 4K, and connected via WiFi) is acting as the home hub and everything works flawlessly. A key difference here is that the Circle 2 is not limited to 2.4GHz, it's compatible with 2.4Ghz AND 5Ghz WiFi like SiWelch mentioned... ugh...

I'm not sure what would justify the move to 2.4Ghz only on the Circle View, (maybe to have it only connect to 2.4 for longer range instead of a much weaker 5GHz signal) I don't know... That's a Logitech question... It's almost like they went back in time... Regardless, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person dealing with this issue and that others too would like to see this fixed...

@mac_in_tosh: I'll try to change the hub back to one of my Apple TVs that's connected to wifi and will update the thread (when I travel back to my parents' house)!

@SiWelch: About you plugging in your camera to a smart plug, I think that's pretty cool, but also like you said pretty ridiculous haha...

Thanks again for your help!!

Oct 21, 2020 12:51 AM in response to SiWelch

What I find most peculiar is that my Circle View is connected to 2.4GHz with my Apple TV4K (all updated) and works perfectly, until I get a notification that “Circle View 15V8 is offline”, at which point it stops recording and all I can see on my Home App is a black screen (no image). However, if I check my router connections I can see that it is actually still connected to the router (which I have set as 2.4 GHz only), and therefore somehow it is merely going “offline” from the Apple TV, not the network. A power cycle of the camera brings it back “online”. I can make no sense of this, other than either the Camera or the Apple TV is faulty. However, Apple say it is a Logitec issue, and Logitec say it is an Apple issue. Great!

Circle View Camera not recording on HomeKit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.