Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Macs & MyDocuments in iCloud

This may be a question for another board - I just don't know.

I have a MacBook Pro and am going to buy an iMac to be my main computer. I will keep the MBP for traveling. So I want to keep the two Macs in sync. It occurred to me I can do that by putting My Documents into iCloud on both machines.

#1. Is that true?

#2. How to get out of the iCloud storage system? (Assume there is sufficient storage on my Macs for all the files.)

#3. Quicken software's default storage location for the Quicken data file is in ~library. Can I make that sync through the iCloud system?

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 12:34 PM

#4. Depends on your email configuration. If using an IMAP or other online email, then it will sync. If you are using POP for some reason, then it won't.

#5. You would need to let it download files from the cloud that it doesn't know about because it has been off.

#6. If the app supports Versions, or you have Time Machine backups, you can restore previous versions of the documents.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2020 12:34 PM in response to Twocybers

#4. Depends on your email configuration. If using an IMAP or other online email, then it will sync. If you are using POP for some reason, then it won't.

#5. You would need to let it download files from the cloud that it doesn't know about because it has been off.

#6. If the app supports Versions, or you have Time Machine backups, you can restore previous versions of the documents.

Aug 9, 2020 6:25 PM in response to Twocybers

You turn it off in the AppleID System Preferences, iCloud, iCloud Drive, Options.

I think they have cleaned up the interface now for disabling it so it is not so confusing. I never had a problem, but a lot of people couldn't navigate it.

From the article footnotes, when you turn it off, it will ask if you want to create a local copy. If yes, it creates an iCloud Drive (Archive) folder in your home. You can then move the files from the Desktop and Documents folders into your Home Desktop and Documents folders.

In the past, it just said, if you turn this off, all of the files will be on iCloud and you will have to move them from iCloud to your Mac. This freaked people out because many were turning it off because they didn't have enough storage. However, the files never move from your Mac, even though it looks like it does. Just a bit of File System magic using hard links.

Aug 9, 2020 7:40 AM in response to Twocybers

1. Yes
  2. They will just sync as long as you have signed into iCloud using the same AppleID. Initially, the files already there may not download. There will be a little download icon next to the ones that are only on the cloud. If you need one of those, you can tell it to download, or just double-click to open it and it will download.
  3. No. Any way to make Quicken move its data file location? You may be able to trick it by making a symbolic link at its default folder location that points to a folder in your Documents folder.

Aug 9, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Barney-15E

Regarding Quicken - I can change the file location. (I have found over the decades it is can be better to accept default locations. Things like Data File integrity programs or update programs just often enough seem to be "set" to look for (or worse only accept) the expected/default file location.

On syncing I am a bit confused - Lets say I create FileA.xyz on August 10th and it syncs to iCloud. I fire up my MBP on August 15 and the file gets delivered. I use only the iMac for 30 days during which time I make several changes to FileA.xyz that are saved to my iMac and presumably iCloud.

# 4. Next I decide to take a trip and fire up my laptop - that will cause my email to sync with the email servers. Will I also find the latest version of FileA on my laptop?

#5. If I just pack my MBP and go to Mudville (Has an internet connection), I expect I could get the last FileA.xyz version I saved before the trip. In short does iCloud work just like DropBox does with regard to syncing?

#6. Is there any versioning function with the iCloud system? Like on vacation I accidentally delete a file or screw it up beyond repair. Do I have any way to return to a 2 or 3 day previous copy?

Aug 9, 2020 1:40 PM in response to Barney-15E

Well I forgot to ask one important question in my original post -- must be galloping senility but I forgot who told me that.

How do I go about quitting the iCloud system assuming my hardware as sufficient capacity to store all the files locally? I guess that is force local storage followed by turn the system off.

Many thanks for your help

Multiple Macs & MyDocuments in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.