Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos in albums

If I have a photo that shows in All Photos, is there a way to know if it has been added to an album, or not?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2020 12:04 PM

You can create a smart album to show all photos, that are not in any album:

• Create the album with "File > New Smart album"
  • Set the rule to "Album is not any"
  • You may refine the album with a date added rule: Date added is in the last ... days

8 replies

Aug 10, 2020 3:13 PM in response to Hikerg

To see, which specific album a photo is in, you would have to write the name of the album into the info of the photo. You could simply open each of your albums in turn, select all photos in the album with ⌘A, open the info with ⌘I, then type the name of the album into the keywords field of the Info.

I am rarely using standard albums, mostly smart albums with the rule "keyword is ..". For example, to create an album with all pictures of flowers, I use a smart album with the rule "keyword is Flower".

Alternately you can run an Apple Script to search through all your albums for the selected photo and return a list of albums. But this is very slow on macOS Catalina. See: How to find out the albums a photo is in: Jacques Rioux's Script, Catalina Version for Photos 5 - Apple Community

Aug 10, 2020 5:57 AM in response to Hikerg

Hikerg wrote:

Does it make a difference which if the three dates are used?
  • If you set the rule to "Date added", the smart album will use the date when you imported the photo.
  • If you set the rule to "Date captured", the smart album will use the date when the photo has been taken.

This will only make a difference, if you are importing old photos, taken several years ago. If you want to check older photos, taken many years ago for the albums they are in, use "Date captured", but if you want check your recently imported photos, use "Date added".

Aug 10, 2020 1:17 PM in response to léonie

Becoming familiar with ‘Smart Album’ as a more sophisticated search function. Unless I missed something, or haven’t found it yet, it doesn’t do what I originally wanted to do. I have a collection of folders in Desktop and Pictures with miscellaneous photos from scans or copies from external sources. I know if I already imported an image when I ask to import it (again) when the duplicate window so tells me. I now know to use the Smart Album function to determine if it is in any album, but if is found in an album, I don’t know which album. There is an option to show the found image in All Photos, but that doesn’t help when I want to know which album.

Photos in albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.