Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 Late 2012 randomly shuts down while using

I have a very old iMac that still runs well but for the last 2 years it keeps powering down for no reason.

I had done research and I worked out it was likely the power supply so I changed the cable and that worked for about a year, but now it has started doing the same again.

I can get it to turn back on by fiddling with the fuse in the power cable but this only lasts for an hour or so - depending on what application I’m using - before it just shuts down again.

After further research, it sounds as if the issue may be to do with the actual power supply **board**.

Does anyone know much might it cost to repair/replace something like this? I've been pretty happy with this machine and don't want to have to shell out for a new one at a similar spec. If a repair is cheap enough, I'll do that instead.

Thanks for any help in advance!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 7:36 AM

No one can quote prices on repairs as they vary by region. Please contact your local independent Apple Authorized Service Provider and see if they can give you an idea of the cost of repair. However considering the age of the computer, have you considered replacing it?

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 10, 2020 10:34 AM in response to kreatism

Are you indicating that you can't get it to boot without disconnecting the power cord and then reconnecting it? If so that's an indication of a bad power source. Had the same issue with a late 2014 27" iMac. It was still under warranty so Apple replaced it. Before doing so they had me erase the drive completely and install just the OS, none of my files, to verify that is was hardware related and not software.

Depending on the age of the Mac Apple may or may not work on it but an Apple Authorized Service Provider probably will. Find one in your area and ask about labor costs and at a minimum, what it would cost to replace the power supply. That will give you an idea of what you may be facing as far as costs go.

iMac 27 Late 2012 randomly shuts down while using

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.