Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Repeatedly Shutting Off (27 inch 2020 5K)

Hi,

A few times since I got the machine, it’s just shut down without any explanation (including the first day I got it!) it always booted back up afterwards so I didn’t think anything of it - and it didn’t happen for months. Until today, where it shut down unexpectedly and then wouldn’t power back on.

The only way I can get it back on is to take the plug out and plug it back in. Even then, it only lasts for a couple minutes - and sometimes not even making it past the login screen!

My specs are:

2020 iMac 27 inch 5K

Intel i7

Radeon 5500

and the latest version of Catalina.

I’ve already checked the socket with other devices so it can’t be the actual wall outlet - so it must be some sort of software or OS bug right? Surely the Mac can’t have a failing power supply already? It’s only a couple of months old.

Going to get it checked out at the store in a couple of days but I really need it for work so anyone who’s experienced this and has a solution, any help would be amazing.

And of course I didn’t buy AppleCare. Please tell me there’s a standard warranty if this thing is broken already?

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 8:21 PM

Does it have any upgraded RAM installed??? This is important, if it does there is a fair chance that is the problem. If you did upgrade the RAM please tell us:

1. Brand of RAM?
  2. Vendor it was purchased from?
  3. The configuration (slots used) you used to install into the iMac?

Similar questions

5 replies

Nov 11, 2020 10:04 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi, thanks for replying!

I had installed 16GB of OWC RAM on top of my stock 8GB, and I got it from Amazon. I had it in the 1st and 3rd slots.

I took the RAM out after seeing this and everything works as normal! I'm guessing something in the ram just stopped working? What are my options now?

I didn't take off the serial stickers on the RAM sticks, so I might be able to return/refund them - and if so would you be able to recommend any specific vendors?

Thanks again for solving this!

iMac Repeatedly Shutting Off (27 inch 2020 5K)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.