Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t reset my iMac login password

I can’t login to my iMac nor reset my password. I know my iCloud password and have no trouble using it to login to iCloud, but when I try to use it to reset my iMac password, it doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 10:56 AM

No, never ever pull the plug. If you have to do a force shutdown, please hold down the power button on the back of the iMac until the computer shuts down. There must be something that is causing this condition though. Please do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store and download the free version of EtreCheck OR please click www.EtreCheck.com where you will find the app. Once you have downloaded the free app and created the report please post it as your reply to this message. In order to post it, please use the following link for more detailed instructions on how to correctly include the results: 

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

We can then look for obvious issues that may be causing your problem.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 10:56 AM in response to Neil2

No, never ever pull the plug. If you have to do a force shutdown, please hold down the power button on the back of the iMac until the computer shuts down. There must be something that is causing this condition though. Please do the following:

Please navigate to the Mac App Store and download the free version of EtreCheck OR please click www.EtreCheck.com where you will find the app. Once you have downloaded the free app and created the report please post it as your reply to this message. In order to post it, please use the following link for more detailed instructions on how to correctly include the results: 

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

We can then look for obvious issues that may be causing your problem.

Aug 10, 2020 9:49 AM in response to Neil2

The computer's admin password and your Apple ID (iCloud) are 2 totally seperate things. I strongly recommend you buy a tool such as 1Password for your phone which you can use to store all of your passwords and logins.

To reset the admin password on your Mac please do the following:

• Restart the computer in the Recovery Partition (Command + R on startup)
  • Navigate to Terminal
  • Type resetpassword and follow the on-screen prompts.

Aug 10, 2020 10:47 AM in response to Neil2

Before performing the steps to reset admin password you must have iCloud Keychain verification code in your records , if it is not with you generate a new code .

( a ) Open system preferences > iCloud > the box for keychain is checked , click on options , click on change security code .

( b ) Click on security code > enter new code in the fields and click on next , you have to enter the new code for the second time and click on next .

In the next window the country code is written , enter your trusted mobile number …….and click on done .

Again enter your Apple ID password to update your account settings and click on ok , hence the code is changed , so write down this code in a safe place .

Shut down the system through apple logo , press command , R and power key simultaneously , release the keys when apple logo appears , the bar starts loading let it be completed , select the language as English .

Take cursor on top menu bar > click on utilities > click on terminal in the terminal window execute a command resetpassword and click on enter key .

A window appears , select your admin name , enter the password for Apple ID .

Two options will be shown ( a ) previous ( b) next , click on next 

Select your user account , you have to press forcefully on the trackpad to get it selected .

Some fields will appear .

New password ……

Verify password ……

Hint ……

Fill up the credentials ( enter a new password ) and click on next , you have to click on restart .

The Mac will restart but you will see pop ups as this Mac can’t connect to iCloud because a problem with your mail address open iCloud preferences for problem.

You will see two options ( a ) Later ( b) iCloud preferences 

And on the top right corner web mail ( could be gmail ) pop up will be there stating google password required enter your password for gmail address and showing close and continue .

Open system preferences > click on iCloud you will see the box for keychain is unchecked, so check mark the box a small pop - up will come on the screen after a while to enter iCloud verification code so enter it .

Make sure your trusted mobile is opened , after a while six digit code will come through sms on the mobile .Enter the six digit code on the next pop up .

You will see iCloud Keychain is setting up and a small circle is rotating the box for keychain is configured with iCloud server .

Now , on the top right corner of the desktop a google pop up is showing , click on continue a window will appear enter your gmail password so that is also configured .

Open airport utility through spotlight , click on base station you will see that password is empty , click on edit a pop up window will appear enter the base station or wireless network password .

Keep the box checked for remember this password in my keychain .

The settings will go to default .

Open safari and you have to reset the homepage once again ( open safari preferences click on General , enter the search engine link and take cursor on history > click on home and close safari window , a pop up window will appear change home page , click on it ) .

Lastly shut down the system when login window appears you can enter admin name and " new password " in the fields .

Note : If you enter in user library ( click on finder Go > hold option key and click on library ) > Find a folder keychains you will see login keychain is renamed and it's a confirmation that login password has been changed and always be careful once login password is changed don’t delete login_rename …Keychain-db or previous login.Keychain-db from user library > keychain folder , if it is deleted the keychain application will be corrupted .

The method will vary for two factor authentication account ( as for 2FA the admin account can't be reset in recovery mode ) and for various versions of Mac .

Aug 10, 2020 11:24 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ok, thanks again. So, the procedure now is:

1. Press the power button to shutdown.

2. Startup in recovery (command+R)

3. Go to terminal and type resetpassword

It will let me reset my password with my AppleID even though the regular login screen did not accept my AppleID, right?

4. Install EtreCheck, create a report, and post it here.

I don’t think I can follow tygb’s suggestion because it seems impossible to do without being able to login.

Also, it sounded like you thought I was trying to login with my AppleID, so I also want to double check that this is the right procedure for when the AppleID is rejected. Thanks again.

Neil

Aug 11, 2020 6:30 AM in response to Neil2

Ok

I’ll go ahead and try it this way unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks

————————————————————————————

1. Press the power button to shutdown.

2. Startup in recovery (command+R)

3. Go to terminal and type resetpassword

It will let me reset my password with my AppleID even though the regular login screen did not accept my AppleID, right?

4. Install EtreCheck, create a report, and post it here.

I don’t think I can follow tygb’s suggestion because it seems impossible to do without being able to login.

Also, it sounded like you thought I was trying to login with my AppleID, so I also want to double check that this is the right procedure for when the AppleID is rejected.

———————————————————————————

I can’t reset my iMac login password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.