Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Apple Pencil 1 generation tips work with an Apple Pencil 2nd generation?

I accidentally damaged the tip of my Apple Pencil 2nd generation and since I have a spare tip from my previous Apple Pencil 1st generation I tried to replace the broken tip which this one that fits perfectly. However it does not work.

I know that the newer tips (apple pencil 2 tips) work with both 2nd and 1st generation, but I don't know if the opposite is true.

Does anybody know?

Thanks!

Edu

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 4:02 PM

As already confirmed by lobsterghost1, the first and second generation Pencil tips are identical.

However, If dropped and the tip has been damaged, the inner (metal) transducer may also have suffered damage. If so, you will require a new Apple Pencil. If only the plastic tip is damaged, then replacing the tip may restore normal operation.

The transducer is a fragile component. If dropping the Pencil onto its tip has damaged the replaceable soft-plastic tip, it is very likely that the Pencil will now be broken. Other than the replaceable plastic tip, the Pencil has no serviceable parts.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2020 4:02 PM in response to El-Duardo

As already confirmed by lobsterghost1, the first and second generation Pencil tips are identical.

However, If dropped and the tip has been damaged, the inner (metal) transducer may also have suffered damage. If so, you will require a new Apple Pencil. If only the plastic tip is damaged, then replacing the tip may restore normal operation.

The transducer is a fragile component. If dropping the Pencil onto its tip has damaged the replaceable soft-plastic tip, it is very likely that the Pencil will now be broken. Other than the replaceable plastic tip, the Pencil has no serviceable parts.

Do Apple Pencil 1 generation tips work with an Apple Pencil 2nd generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.