Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

*Virus* Downloaded PDF file from possible fake UPS email

I recently submitted a UPS claim two days ago, and received an email from packageinfo at ups that had a link to download a file that had an update on the case. Without thinking, I downloaded the file on my Mac (running latest version of Catalina). The PDF file had ALL the correct info regarding my claim: sending/receiving address, lost item name and case, contact info, etc.

Then I realized that the email was most likely fake and a scam. I quickly deleted the PDF file, cleared it from trash, cleared cache, and cleared my search history. I double checked my downloads and no other file seemed to be downloaded. 

I ran MalwareBytes and Mcafee Total Protection, and both of them did not find any malicious material. I know that the Mac is really good at protecting viruses, but is there anything else I should do to see if there is anything malicious on my Mac?

I was wondering whether or not this was a fake email? If so, how did they get ALL THE CORRECT INFO about my claim?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2020 6:35 PM

Are you sure this wasn't a legitimate email? You could check the address that it came from.

You can also send a screen shot of the message or forward it to Fraud@ups.com for investigation.

This is UPS's fraud page:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/about/news/fraud-alert.page

Similar questions

2 replies

*Virus* Downloaded PDF file from possible fake UPS email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.