Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use target display mode with a 2020 iMac and a 2019 MacBook Pro? I have a usb C to usb C cable and it doesn't seem to pick up the connection between the two.

I have a 2020 27 inch iMac, and I also have a 2019 15 inch Macbook pro, I would like to use my iMac with my MacBook Pro as a secondary screen, however it doesn't seems to pick it up. I'm using an apple certified usb C to usb C cable, am I doing something wrong? when I press cmd + f2 nothing happens on my iMac.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2020 8:05 PM

Target Display Mode was discontinued in 2015, so no the iMac will not work and sorry there are no work around. If the MBP needs an external display, please buy one. Your iMac is a computer and not an external display for another computer.

4 replies

can I use target display mode with a 2020 iMac and a 2019 MacBook Pro? I have a usb C to usb C cable and it doesn't seem to pick up the connection between the two.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.