Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missed notifications when bluetooth headset is paired.

I use a bluetooth headset (blue parrot, noise cancelling on the ear, works with the wind howling past me in a car or on a tower). When it's paired and hanging around my neck or laying on the desk beside me because I'm not actively using it at the moment, I get no notification sound that tells me I have a new text message. This is a "very bad thing" (tm). I don't see any setting in my iPhone to tell it that it needs to always make noise on the phone's speaker for notifications.

I'd also like to be able to tell it to play media over one bluetooth device and phone calls over another. The bluetooth in the car sucks for calls. The headset is perfect for calls and sucks for music/driving directions. I cannot find settings for that either.

This was all very simple on my Samsung Galaxy S7. Unfortunately, it died and work wanted me to be able to share an iCloud calendar. Getting over the learning curve to make the iPhone half as useful as the Android for a sysadmin / wifi installer has been challenging so far, 2 months in.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 13, 2020 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 5:01 AM

No. When you have a bluetooth device that supports audio streaming connected, all audio is routed to the bluetooth device. Your phone has no way of knowing that you're not actually wearing them, unless you have something like Apple's AirPods that have a sensor that disables it if it's not in your ears.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 5:01 AM in response to learner7

No. When you have a bluetooth device that supports audio streaming connected, all audio is routed to the bluetooth device. Your phone has no way of knowing that you're not actually wearing them, unless you have something like Apple's AirPods that have a sensor that disables it if it's not in your ears.

Aug 13, 2020 12:44 PM in response to KiltedTim

Am I missing some setting that would make the phone ding when notifications arrive while the bluetooth devices are connected?

Lower priority, not related to subject:

Am I missing some setting that would allow me to route different audio streams to different bluetooth devices?

I see asterisks in my original post. Didn't think I was off the rails. Substitute "is horrible" for the asterisks.

Missed notifications when bluetooth headset is paired.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.