Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music: Can't create playlists

My wife signed us up for a trial of Apple Music (Family Plan). After a lot of futzing we finally got my AppleID to accept the subscription, but I can't create playlists for myself. When I click on the "..." next to a song, the option is not available.

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 3:10 PM

Thanks for the information Joe,

Is your Mac running macOS Catalina? If so, the Apple Music User Guide has great information to help with creating playlists, including adding music to a playlist. Check out the guide here: Create a playlist in Music on Mac

You can also find great information for adding and downloading music on your Mac here: Add and download music on Mac

Specifically, the steps are as follows:

"To add music to your music library, do one of the following:

• Click the More button  next to an item (such as a song or album), then choose Add to Library.
    • Hold the pointer over an item, then click the Add button .

If you don’t see these options, either you’re not signed in to Apple Music using your Apple ID or the Sync Library option is not selected in Music preferences. Choose Music > Preferences, click General, make sure Sync Library is selected, then click OK."

If you're sure you are signed in with the correct Apple ID and Sync Library is turned on yet you're still not seeing the options above, let us know.

Take care.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 3:10 PM in response to Joe Swenson

Thanks for the information Joe,

Is your Mac running macOS Catalina? If so, the Apple Music User Guide has great information to help with creating playlists, including adding music to a playlist. Check out the guide here: Create a playlist in Music on Mac

You can also find great information for adding and downloading music on your Mac here: Add and download music on Mac

Specifically, the steps are as follows:

"To add music to your music library, do one of the following:

• Click the More button  next to an item (such as a song or album), then choose Add to Library.
    • Hold the pointer over an item, then click the Add button .

If you don’t see these options, either you’re not signed in to Apple Music using your Apple ID or the Sync Library option is not selected in Music preferences. Choose Music > Preferences, click General, make sure Sync Library is selected, then click OK."

If you're sure you are signed in with the correct Apple ID and Sync Library is turned on yet you're still not seeing the options above, let us know.

Take care.

Aug 15, 2020 2:26 PM in response to Joe Swenson

Hi Joe,

We're happy to help ensure you can create playlists with Apple Music. Are you creating this playlist on an iOS device? If so, the steps in the article here can help:

Create and share Apple Music playlists

We'd also recommend selecting the "Edit Actions" option at the bottom of the page, to confirm the "Add to Playlist" option is enabled. The article above has a great visual.

Let us know if that helps!

Apple Music: Can't create playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.