Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if icloud is working on my imac?

I can't work out if icloud storage is working on my imac. I thought there should be a kind of bar with lots of colours showing amounts of info stored but this doesn't seem to be working. But I can see a little cloud icon beside a few documents in Folders. Does this mean icloud is working so I don't need to worry?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 9:41 AM

The bar with colors you are talking about is the storage on your Mac. You can see it if you click on the Apple icon, About this Mac, Storage.

if you want to see what’s in icloud: go to www.icloud.com and log in with your AppleID.

The little cloud icons you see besides docs mean they are in the cloud. If you want them on your Mac: click on the little cloud to download them.

If you have further questions: feel free to ask

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 9:41 AM in response to Borderlands

The bar with colors you are talking about is the storage on your Mac. You can see it if you click on the Apple icon, About this Mac, Storage.

if you want to see what’s in icloud: go to www.icloud.com and log in with your AppleID.

The little cloud icons you see besides docs mean they are in the cloud. If you want them on your Mac: click on the little cloud to download them.

If you have further questions: feel free to ask

Aug 14, 2020 12:51 PM in response to Borderlands

OK, when you go to System Preferences, AppleID, iCloud, there is indeed also a bar with different colors which gives you some indication about the used storage. When you click on the Manage-button next to it, you can get more information.

Try again to finish two-factor authentication . See this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8572555

Aug 14, 2020 10:00 AM in response to mulberry58

Hi

Logged on to my icloud.com and could see everything that was backed up which is was reassuring. What I am now wondering is what the bar is meant to show on the System Preferences. Above all the icons is wording "Two-Factor Authenication" eventhough I have set this up. When I click on it, it has the yellow ! symbol and all the stuff about the Two-Factor authentication needing to have the settings finished - which I will try to again....but on the left hand menu is icloud and when I click on that I can see below the window with all the apps - Optomise Mac Storage with the box unticked and below that a bar that says "Details not available". Should I not worry about this? I thought this would show info about icloud storage......

How can I tell if icloud is working on my imac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.