Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV HD randomly loses wifi connection

Why would an Apple TV HD randomly and repeatedly lose WiFi connectivity, while all other WiFi devices in my house are working perfectly? I have done countless reboots and restarts of the Apple TV device and our router but, at best, WiFi reappears in the network setting of Apple TV for a few minutes and then drops out and switches to saying it is connected to Ethernet, but it's not because there is no available Eternet connection near the TV. The router is on a different floor of the house.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 13

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 9:36 AM

Interference can be very local from one place to another, just a few feet apart.

Get help with Wi-Fi networks on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Interference can come from neighboring networks on overlapping channels. Maybe re-evaluate the optimum channels.

Interference can come from electrical cords and wiring and electrical household appliances. Maybe the fridge and microwave need to move. Maybe your cable management could do with some decluttering.

Interference can come from metal shielding and metal reinforced structures. Maybe the attic and basement would be better off with ethernet, or Wi-Fi repeaters, or a Wi-Fi Mesh setup for those parts of the house.

Also see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8645672

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2020 9:36 AM in response to RCBinVA

Interference can be very local from one place to another, just a few feet apart.

Get help with Wi-Fi networks on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Interference can come from neighboring networks on overlapping channels. Maybe re-evaluate the optimum channels.

Interference can come from electrical cords and wiring and electrical household appliances. Maybe the fridge and microwave need to move. Maybe your cable management could do with some decluttering.

Interference can come from metal shielding and metal reinforced structures. Maybe the attic and basement would be better off with ethernet, or Wi-Fi repeaters, or a Wi-Fi Mesh setup for those parts of the house.

Also see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8645672

Aug 21, 2020 2:26 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for taking the time to look at my situation. I talked with someone at Apple support and this does appear to be a problem with the Apple TV hardware and not the WiFi signal. All my other WiFi devices operate just fine in the same location. I am taking the hardware in to the Apple Store tomorrow to confirm it is the culprit. Disappointing. I expected better quality and durability from Apple products.

Apple TV HD randomly loses wifi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.