Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lack of storage when I have over 40gb of data to use.

Hi

I have an iPhone 6 S. I’m. Fairly EE to iPhones as this is my first but so far , not good. I pay 75p per month for an extra 50gb (roughly I think) of data. I have a lot of my images and WhatsApp info backed up but here’s where it gets confusing (see attached photo)

I have so much memory left to use but my WhatsApp and iPhone keeps telling me I have very little data left, which makes no sense to me. My WhatsApp and photos are saved onto the cloud. I don’t even have that many photos yet I am constantly being urged to delete photos, videos and apps to create more space. I recently backed up my WhatsApp. I want to be able to have more than a few apps and I thought buying the extra data would help, but it isn’t. Why isn’t my phone putting the other apps onto the feee storage?

I am also unable to upload some photos onto other apps like snapchat as I think they aren’t the original photos (the ! In the circle I googled and said it’s all stored on my cloud)

but I want the originals on my phone so I can share and they are the original quality. I’m very confused. My photos and WhatsApp are turned on to use my iCloud data but I have so much data left it isn’t using , can someone explain why this is and tell me how to change that? I don’t understand why it’s like this or why I am paying for something that clearly isn’t working. Any info will be really appreciated as I don’t want to go into shops at the monent!

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 3:07 PM

The message/notification you're getting saying you're out of storage is related to your device's storage having no more space. Here's how to check your device's storage --

About storage on your device and in iCloud - Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

The way iCloud works and was designed is that it needs to have and use the storage on your device as well as it goes hand-in-hand for it to work. This is how iCloud was designed to work - it stores your data in the cloud and a smaller footprint of the same data on your device. It is a syncing service and not off-device storage.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2020 3:07 PM in response to Lackofstorage

The message/notification you're getting saying you're out of storage is related to your device's storage having no more space. Here's how to check your device's storage --

About storage on your device and in iCloud - Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

The way iCloud works and was designed is that it needs to have and use the storage on your device as well as it goes hand-in-hand for it to work. This is how iCloud was designed to work - it stores your data in the cloud and a smaller footprint of the same data on your device. It is a syncing service and not off-device storage.

Lack of storage when I have over 40gb of data to use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.