Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

event viewer not working

When I select an event in the browser, I sometimes see that event in the event viewer but most of the time neither photos nor videos appear in the event viewer. I want to be able to select a video in the browser and see it play back and forth in the viewer when I move the curser line back and forth over the clip selected in the browser. Sometimes this will work for a while and mysteriously stop working. What should I check?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 4:42 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Aug 18, 2020 12:10 AM in response to louiexiv

I spoke too soon. The event viewer worked only briefly. It soon reverted to the broken behavior of not showing the event when I moved the cursor line over the event. Sometimes when I click on a photo, it will appear in the event viewer but when I click on a different photo the one visible in the event viewer does not change, and other times the viewer goes black and clicking on a photo or video shows nothing, just solid black. There is no rime or reason to any of this.

I don’t know if this relevant, but when the viewer is black and I move the cursor line over the video in the browser, the visible part of the event changes in the browser, not in the viewer, as I move the cursor line back and forth. This is not a viable alternative to seeing the changes in the viewer because the videos are too small in the browser and it is essentially impossible to do any useful selection with such tiny displays.

Obviously, I can’t delete the FCPX preferences every 2-10 minutes.

Aug 19, 2020 9:33 AM in response to Alchroma

I waited until the event viewer was not working, then I did alt-cmd-3 to get both, and that made the event viewer work again. However, after I started to create and canceled a new project, the event viewer stopped working again — the viewer was frozen on the last frame viewed and neither moving over a video or photo nor clicking on a video or photo changed the view.

Starting to create and canceling a new project is only an example. Doing ANYTHING seems to make the event viewer freeze on the last frame viewed.

event viewer not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.