Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mdsync and Time Machine

Since a few days (since Catalina 10.15.6, at least not before) several people including myself (on two different Macs) find warnings from Bitdefender while they have Time Machine Protection (or rather the protection of the back-up volume) switched on. Most warnings say, there was an unauthorized access by mdsync. Some only say that there was an unauthorized access blocked. Cf. ongoing discussion at the Bitdefender forum https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/82672/anti-ransomware .

Bitdefender Antivirus says:

"Time Machine Protection

Feature: Anti-Ransomware

An unauthorized app attempted to access your backups.

App: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdsync

We blocked the app to prevent it from altering the content of your backups."

There could be a problem with Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac (OK, you might say you better delete it, but ...). This is not a topic for the present community. But at least the question arises what is mdsync doing when it tries to access the back-up volume of Time Machine?

There are earlier contributions indicating that mdsync is related to Spotlight (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8538049) and/or Time Machine (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250215220). But this remained a little bit uncertain.

Now with increasing threats it would be good to know whether there is a valid reason for mdsync to access the "holy" back-up volume of Time Machine. mdsync is a genuine part of the protected MacOS, but you always should keep eyes open.

Any well-founded ideas?

PS: Please, note that there was something that the Bitdefender experts think was unauthorized access by mdsync and other apps without names. So there is some potential for threats or for experts to improve their knowledge.

iMac Pro

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 5:45 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 11, 2020 5:52 AM in response to VOGH

I have done as you have suggested and this image may help you to evaluate.

Your suggestion: “System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy, is your external hard drive’s name shown” no it is not shown and if I attempt to add it I receive the message “<my hard drive> is a Time Machine backup folder. You cannot add it to the privacy list.

Screenshot:

As for “…can you tell me what you see in: System Preferences > Time Machine > Options?“ See image below

Screenshot:

Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

I have also called Bitdefender, September 10, 2020 who provided a suggestion; however, it did not work either and they have informed me that they have escalated this concern to their second level of support, and provided a ticket number to me, as well as stating they would be sending me a program to run that would send back results to Bitdefender second level support, but thus far I have not received it.

Sep 4, 2020 12:45 AM in response to VOGH

From time to time I still have the Bitdefender ransomware alerts that mdsync tried to access the Time Machine back-up. Starting with the time stamp that Bitdefender gives I checked system.log and found two messages concerning mdsync:

Sep  3 10:47:39 MacPro2013 mdsync[613]: objc[613]: Class MDSPathFilter is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Metadata and /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdsync. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Sep  3 10:47:39 MacPro2013 mdsync[613]: objc[613]: Class _MDSPathFilter is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SpotlightIndex.framework/Versions/A/SpotlightIndex and /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdsync. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

On the same day I had three more cases with these two messages. But only in the above case there was the Bitdefender alert.

Unfortunately, I am too dumb to interpret and understand what these messages really mean. But maybe they tell us what is going on or going wrong. In any case SpotlightIndex is mentioned. And I am a little bit puzzled when I read that something is implemented in an "undefined" way.

Any ideas from the Community?

Sep 4, 2020 1:36 AM in response to VOGH

Hey there VOGH!

I believe in this case, it’s more of an issue with Bit Defender interfering with a system process, not allowing it to do what it needs to do.

Spotlight process, (Usually Mdworker), is a necessary function for the OS, including search, storage reporting, etc. So, (and I could be wrong), I believe this would be a conflict with Bit Defender, or even the version of Bit Defender compared to the OS version.

If it was truly the OS not operating like it should, you could always reinstall it.

However are there any other symptoms that coincide with this error message from Bit Defender?

Sep 4, 2020 3:14 AM in response to DiZoE

Hi DiZoE!

Thank you for your comment.

Unfortunately, I did not observe any other symptoms. In particular the blocked access seems to be unobservable otherwise.

The problem is there on a number of different Macs, cf. https://community.bitdefender.com/en/discussion/82672/anti-ransomware . I observe the Bitdefender alert on two different Macs myself (iMac Pro 2017 and Mac Pro 2013). So to reinstall MacOS is not a very promising option. And I believe mdsync is in the protected system part - if not somehow replaced by malware/ransomware, although this should not be possible.

The alerts are there since MacOS 10.15.6. So Bitdefender (although permanently updated) might be incompatible with 10.15.6. On the other hand Apple might have changed something that they did not communicate to developers or has unexpected side effects.

Bitdefender Support essentially said, that mdsync should not access Time Machine backups, "it is legitimately blocked." And "... only Time Machine system files are allowed to access Time Machine backups." Reasonable, if their assumption about allowed access is correct.

Because I have no firm information what mdsync is good for and whether or not it should have access to Time Machine back-ups I asked the question about mdsync and Time Machine. As there were and are indications that mdsync is part of Spotlight activities it should most probably not touch the huge Time Machine back-up, at least not to build an index. On the other hand, as I mentioned earlier, there were indications that mdsync is related to Time Machine activities. Then the assumption of Bitdefender that mdsync should be blocked would be wrong. I could very well imagine that Time Machine uses modules related to Spotlight to manage the complicated structure of the back-ups. But I am ohhh so dump! And I found so many bright and helpful ideas in the Apple community before. Therefore I decided to try again.

And finally it is always good to check/verify doubtful alerts.

Sep 11, 2020 1:02 AM in response to VOGH

Hey again! If you check:

System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy, is your external hard drive’s name shown there or not? If not, then this might make sense, if otherwise, maybe not.

Also, can you tell me what you see in:

System Preferences > Time Machine > Options?

I’ve seen a lot of strange behavior from software over the years, and understand security is priority number one. Most of the time there is an technical explanation for it, but it takes some time to figure out. Then again sometimes their isn’t! Thanks!

Sep 11, 2020 2:23 AM in response to DiZoE

Hi DiZoE!

Good questions, in particular the one about Spotlight > Privacy. Yes, I see several external disks and special folders that I excluded by intention. The funny thing now is about the back-up volume of Time Machine. A long time ago (years ago) I thought the Privacy should contain the Time Machine Back-up, since it would be quite confusing to have all back-ups listed in the search results. Then I had to learn that you are not allowed to add the back-up volume (error message says Time Machine-Backup may not be added to "Privacy"). I just checked this to be sure, same result. As I had some Spotlight related (AppleScript and Automator) problems over the years I frequently checked Preferences for Spotlight. The funny surprise was that from time to time I found the back-up volume in the Privacy list. Usually it was not there, but once in a while it was there. I found some correlation that it was in the list while Time Machine was running. This would seem to be reasonable. Unfortunately, I could not always verify this. Sometimes Time Machine had finished its activities, but the back-up volume was still in the list (even after closing and opening Preferences again to try to update the display). And sometimes Time Machine was active, but the back-up volume was not in the Privacy list. - So there could be something not working as it should. In any case I think, as I wrote before, that Spotlight should not touch the back-up-volume. But this does not mean that the back-up volume must be in the Privacy list. And there could be update problems with the Privacy list.

Please, note that this has nothing to do with the question what mdsync does and why it is blocked by Bitdefender when mdsync tries to access the back-up volume. This effect was not there before MacOS 10.15.6. - Nevertheless the aforementioned observations and the mdsync problem might be somehow related.

Now Time Machine > Options. The Options show the back-up volume (grey, not selectable) and some other volumes and folders that I intentionally do not want to be included in the Time Machine back-up or are excluded automatically like a NTFS Windows volume (grey). So I see nothing that I would not expect.

Same observations on two different Macs.

Finally the mdsync blocking message from Bitdefender is not very frequent, usually not even daily. Sometimes it did not show up for several days and I suspected that Bitdefender was updated to skip the message. And suddenly the message is there again. The last one I had was Sept. 6, i. e. 5 days ago.

mdsync and Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.