Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't update app(pre installed)

I bought new MacBook Pro 2020 few days ago. Now I can't able to update pre installed app like keynote, GarageBand etc.. Every time when I click on update button in App Store the message pop up like" keynote can't be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID "

MacBook

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 12:04 PM

The work around is to delete the apps and redownload them. Then they will be part of your Apple ID.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 6.2.8; iPad Air 2, ipadOS 13.6.1; iPhone 8+, iOS 13.6.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 13.4.8;  HomePods, audioOS 13.4.8 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 12:04 PM in response to kartikp604

The work around is to delete the apps and redownload them. Then they will be part of your Apple ID.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 6.2.8; iPad Air 2, ipadOS 13.6.1; iPhone 8+, iOS 13.6.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 13.4.8;  HomePods, audioOS 13.4.8 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Sep 10, 2020 3:13 PM in response to SD_Jason

Did you open a new account to make this post to cause me to feel uncomfortable and that my solution was unwelcome? If so, you're out of line.

I'm not an Apple employee, I'm a long-time Apple user with a lot of experience in this App Store forum who volunteer's my time to assist other users with issues they can't solve on their own.

I offered a work around to what a new Mac user should do with the pre-installed, non-macOS apps on a new Mac, in case, as occasionally happens, that 1st step didn't work.

With a new Mac with macOS Catalina, after setting up the user account, a new user needs to adopt the pre-installed, non-macOS apps into their Apple ID;

1. Open the App Store app on the Mac.
  2. Click the sign-in button or the user photo at the bottom of the sidebar.
  3. For any unadopted apps, the App Store should now show an Accept button, followed by a list of those apps. Click the Accept button. Sign in again with the user's Apple ID if requested.
  4. Those apps should now update properly.

However, if for some reason those apps are not found in the App Store app to be accepted, the above work around works fine, it just uses a bit more bandwidth.

Sep 10, 2020 10:41 PM in response to Dah•veed

Dahveed, I appreciate your assistance and your answer was spot on.

I apologize for any perceived malice towards you, not my intent. I am new to this, I thought Apple was monitoring this and I was voicing my opinion towards them, not you.

This issue seems like it should not occur for a superior product.

Again, thank you for taking the time to assist newbies like myself.

can't update app(pre installed)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.