Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubleshooting an endlessly-rebooting mac

My mac (27" iMac) has been functioning fine for years. It's running Mojave, with the latest software update as of a week ago. (It -- and I -- will never be able to update to Catalina, as Catalina breaks critical software I need to use.)

A few days ago, it spontaneously froze: spinning wheel, unable to move mouse, keyboard shortcut to task manager unresponsive. After an hour sitting like that I hard rebooted. It then shifted to an endless cycle of starting to boot (seeing apple logo and bar graph), then before the bar graph completes, I hear a click, the screen goes black, and then I get a gray screen and a message "your computer restarted because of a problem....". It then restarts and repeats. Endlessly.

I've tried holding shift to launch safe mode but there was no visible effect.

What other troubleshooting steps can I follow?

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 12:11 PM

See if you can download the Mojave installer, not in Firefox...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12

Then create a bootable installer...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Similar questions

12 replies

Aug 22, 2020 1:24 PM in response to Mike G.

If you have an external drive & that Mac is running Mojave or an OS this problem Mac can run, then Cloning would be easiest...

Carbon Copy Cloner...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Or, Don't use FireFox for this link…

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Aug 22, 2020 9:14 AM in response to Mike G.

A little more info:

• Holding command-R during boot doesn't have much effect: it just causes the same reboot to occur, but this time without the "your computer restarted because of a problem" message.
  • Holding D during boot, just results in a gray screen (waiting 10min with no effect)
  • Holding Alt successfully takes me to a startup disk selector -- and the computer is able to connect to wifi --, but I have no other startup disks to try choosing than my main one, and selecting it results in an immediate "your computer restarted because of a problem"

Aug 30, 2020 10:22 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

Thanks. I’ve been delayed waiting for a disk to arrive for a backup (via target disk mode). Unfortunately, this is not going well either.

Here’s the latest:

• I was able to mount my computer using target disk mode, but it was so slow that backup is not possible. (I.e., in the finder, when I click on a directory name, it takes 5-10 min to even display the contents of that directory.) So backing up is not an option right now. (I’m hoping not too much has happened since the last successful time machine backup.)
  • I have still not managed to successfully create a *bootable* Mojave external disk.
  • I was able to download the installer on another computer (maddeningly it won’t run on a Catalina computer, even to install the OS on another disk, but that’s a different story) and ran it, choosing a new external drive as the target. It ran.
  • I then tried to boot to that disk on my broken computer, but it took me to the “install Mac OS” utility (recovery utility?) rather than a full boot. I was able to run a disk first aid and found no problems (though I don’t believe that... more on that in a sec).
  • It seemed to really want to install the OS. So I tried again installing the OS to the external drive. After doing this, I was able to select the external drive as the startup disk. However....
  • When I choose that external drive as the startup disk, it once again boots into the recovery utility, not the full OS.
  • So, I tried — from within the recovery utility — installing the OS to the main HD (in case the problem is that some of the OS files are corrupted). This took a long time and ultimately failed due to an input/output error. (Logfile generated.)
  • Happily, though, after it failed it some how have me access to a previously hidden(?) option to open a terminal window within the recovery utility (or I was just an idiot and couldn’t find how to launch a terminal previously).
  • Within terminal I found that both the external and internal drives were happily mounted and I tried to start copying files. However, this failed repeatedly with an input/output error.

So I’m trying to figure out what is going on. Presumably the problem is one of the following three:

1. soft error(s) on the internal HD — like a corrupted file or incorrect configuration. But I’m beginning to think it’s not this (or at least not only this) because of the input/output errors.
  2. hardware problems on the internal HD. In this case I’ll need to replace the HD. I would have assumed this due to the input output errors. However the fact that I can’t seem to actually boot off an external drive is making me second guess. (Though the OS installation process was so awful, I wouldn’t put it past the possibility that it’s somehow mis-installed on the external drive...)
  3. other hardware problems with the computer. In this case it’s a write off :(

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

Aug 30, 2020 11:23 AM in response to Mike G.

Nevermind! Apparently after a series of attempts at rebooting, I’m somehow able to boot from the external drive!

I’m increasingly believing the issue is #2 — problem with the built in hard drive —, as I have the same painfully slow behavior that never really succeeds. Next up: how to replace a hard drive in an iMac. But that’s a question for a different thread.

Thanks for your help.

Troubleshooting an endlessly-rebooting mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.