Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restarting problem

Hi, I need help. My work Mac is basically brand new and it keeps randomly freezing and then it just restarts itself. When it is booting up again there's a black screen saying "Your Mac restarted due to a problem". Found out online that it means the Mac is starting up in verbose mode. I've tried using "sudo nvram boot-args=" in terminal but it didnt seem to do anything. We reinstalled the OS, downloaded CleanmyMac and ran a diagnosis to check for hardware problems and found nothing. I've attached some images showing info regarding storage etc.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 2:17 AM

Claudia_HJD Said:

"Restarting problem: Hi, I need help. My work Mac is basically brand new and it keeps randomly freezing and then it just restarts itself. When it is booting up again there's a black screen saying 'Your Mac restarted due to a problem'.[...]We reinstalled the OS, downloaded CleanmyMac and ran a diagnosis to check for hardware problems and found nothing. I've attached some images showing info regarding storage etc."

-------

Some Thoughts:

With 16GB of RAM, a Quad-Core Processor, and a 2-year-old model, the specs are just fine for a Big Sur install.

Try Running First Aid:

1. Boot: in Recovery Mode
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: Your Internal Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

Uninstall CleanMyMac:

CleanMyMac is third-party software, and that can misconfigure your Mac, in one way or another. So, uninstall it. If no uninstaller is needed, then drag it to the Trash, empty the Trash, and then restart your Mac.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 2:17 AM in response to Claudia_HJD

Claudia_HJD Said:

"Restarting problem: Hi, I need help. My work Mac is basically brand new and it keeps randomly freezing and then it just restarts itself. When it is booting up again there's a black screen saying 'Your Mac restarted due to a problem'.[...]We reinstalled the OS, downloaded CleanmyMac and ran a diagnosis to check for hardware problems and found nothing. I've attached some images showing info regarding storage etc."

-------

Some Thoughts:

With 16GB of RAM, a Quad-Core Processor, and a 2-year-old model, the specs are just fine for a Big Sur install.

Try Running First Aid:

1. Boot: in Recovery Mode
  2. Select: Disk Utility
  3. Select: Your Internal Drive
  4. Click: First Aid button

Uninstall CleanMyMac:

CleanMyMac is third-party software, and that can misconfigure your Mac, in one way or another. So, uninstall it. If no uninstaller is needed, then drag it to the Trash, empty the Trash, and then restart your Mac.

Mar 26, 2021 2:16 AM in response to Claudia_HJD

Hi Claudia_HJD,

First, Clean My Mac (CMM) is junk. It's more like "Destroy My Mac". Delete ASAP!

Secondly, let's create an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful app to diagnose and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

Cheers,

Jack

Mar 30, 2021 1:55 AM in response to Claudia_HJD

I would suggest doing a total erase and reinstallation of macOS Big Sur. However, this can only be done if all your files can be backed up to an external hard drive. To backup, "copy and pate" or "drag and drop" files you want to save. Do not use Time Machine. This will just restore issues.

When you are ready to erase and reinstall, follow this guide. Again, this will erase all data:

1. Verify all your data is backed up to an external hard drive using "copy and pate" or "drag and drop".
  2. Sign out of your Apple ID in System Preferences > Apple ID > Overview > Sign Out.
  3. Shut down the Mac.
  4. Turn on the Mac, and immediately press and hold Command + R until you see the Apple logo.
  5. Once you are in macOS Recovery, verify you are connected to WiFi in the top right corner.
  6. Go to Disk Utility.
  7. Select "View" in the toolbar > "Show All Devices".
  8. Select your main hard drive. This will either be "APPLE SSD...", "APPLE HDD...", or "Fusion Drive".
  9. Click Erase, and input the following exactly: (If you cannot select erase on the main hard drive, erase the "Container".)
  10. Name: Macintosh HD
  11. Format: APFS
  12. Scheme: GUID Partition Map (if shown)
  13. Click Erase
  14. Quit Disk Utility
  15. Go to the reinstall macOS app.
  16. Follow the prompts, and install on Macintosh HD.
  17. Once done, setup your Mac, again, and once setup, drag and drop or copy your files back to the iMac.

If the issue comes back after this, we know it's a hardware issue.

Cheers,

Jack

Restarting problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.