Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to sort photos by image number

Hi,

I uploaded 5000 holiday photos to my Mac a few years back and they appear in the album on my photos app not in the order that they were taken. As there are so many and it was a while ago I cannot remember which order they should be in. I have tried sorting n date order but that hasn't worked as some photos say the date is 1980??

So I would like to try and organise them via the image number on each photo to try and sort them that way.

How do I do this? Can I do this? Thanks in advance for any help.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 11:55 PM

If you have not changed the titles of the photos, the filename with the image number will be showing as the title. Then sorting the album by the title should sort them by the filename with the image number. If you already upgraded to Catalina, it is no longer possible to sort by the filename (Sorting Albums by Title in Photos - Chang… - Apple Community)(

You can make the titles visible below the thumbnails, if you enable the menu item "View > Metadata > titles". Then you can see the filenames as a title. If you copy the filename to the title field, "sort by Title " will sort by the filename in any system version.

How to view the titles or filenames below… - Apple Community).

Or use an Apple script to copy the filename to the Title field:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 11:55 PM in response to lovephotos2020

If you have not changed the titles of the photos, the filename with the image number will be showing as the title. Then sorting the album by the title should sort them by the filename with the image number. If you already upgraded to Catalina, it is no longer possible to sort by the filename (Sorting Albums by Title in Photos - Chang… - Apple Community)(

You can make the titles visible below the thumbnails, if you enable the menu item "View > Metadata > titles". Then you can see the filenames as a title. If you copy the filename to the title field, "sort by Title " will sort by the filename in any system version.

How to view the titles or filenames below… - Apple Community).

Or use an Apple script to copy the filename to the Title field:

how to sort photos by image number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.