Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought an audio file which is in the .wma format and it will not play on my Mac or my iPhone. How do I get it to play? My Mac is an OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6. I have QuickTime Player on my Mac.

I bought an audio file which is in the .wma format and it will not play on my Mac or my iPhone. How do I get it to play? My Mac is an OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6. I have QuickTime Player on my Mac.

MacBook Air 11″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 6:29 AM

Download the free, 64-bit, VLC media player. Now, convert the Windows audio file format to .mp3:

1. Launch VLC and from the File menu, select Convert/Stream…
    1. Drag and drop your .wma file onto the dotted drop well with the large down arrow
    2. Click the [Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4) selector, and change to MP3
    3. Click Customize…
      1. Encapsulation: RAW
      2. Audio codec: [ MP3 ] and Apply. (anything with mpeg audio, mpeg 4 audio, or a52/ac3 will generate an .m4v file)
    4. Click Save as File button
    5. Click Browse… to determine output location
      1. Give your audio a name with a .mp3 extension
      2. Choose the location (e.g. Desktop)
      3. Save
    6. Click Save, and VLC will silently play through the .wma file as it converts and writes out the .mp3 audio file
  2. Quit VLC
  3. Play the .mp3 either in the Finder by passing the pointer over the file icon, and clicking the play icon, playing in QuickTime, or even in VLC.

Tested with VLC 3.0.11.1 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G6020).

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2020 6:29 AM in response to NanMar1

Download the free, 64-bit, VLC media player. Now, convert the Windows audio file format to .mp3:

1. Launch VLC and from the File menu, select Convert/Stream…
    1. Drag and drop your .wma file onto the dotted drop well with the large down arrow
    2. Click the [Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4) selector, and change to MP3
    3. Click Customize…
      1. Encapsulation: RAW
      2. Audio codec: [ MP3 ] and Apply. (anything with mpeg audio, mpeg 4 audio, or a52/ac3 will generate an .m4v file)
    4. Click Save as File button
    5. Click Browse… to determine output location
      1. Give your audio a name with a .mp3 extension
      2. Choose the location (e.g. Desktop)
      3. Save
    6. Click Save, and VLC will silently play through the .wma file as it converts and writes out the .mp3 audio file
  2. Quit VLC
  3. Play the .mp3 either in the Finder by passing the pointer over the file icon, and clicking the play icon, playing in QuickTime, or even in VLC.

Tested with VLC 3.0.11.1 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G6020).

Aug 29, 2020 11:28 PM in response to NanMar1

NanMar1 Said:

"I bought an audio file which is in the .wma format and it will not play on my Mac or my iPhone. How do I get it to play? My Mac is an OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6. I have QuickTime Player on my Mac."

-------

This is a file you'd use on Windows. So, if you have a Virtual Machine, the run it off of that.

Run this Through a Virtual Machine:

Have a Virtual Machine? Consider using a Virtual Machine(VM) for this file. A Virtual Machine is no more than Windows-in-a-window. You would open this file in the Windows VM, and would play it right off of Windows Media Player. All would be accessed and would operate as desired on the VM.

Virtual Machine Applications:

Virtual Machine applications include VMWare Fusion and ParallelsLearn more here: What Is a Virtual Machine? - VMWare Support.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.