Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen time graph

What are the Grey sections in the screen time bar graph? Also why would my daughters usage drop from 9 hours on average a day to 2 hours? Can she by pass screen time? I have a pass code set so idk how she can change.

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 9:55 AM

I'd assume the gray areas are "other", meaning general use, email, navigating on the phone, etc. Tiny percentage of usage anyway.

If I'm reading your screen grab correctly, seems you've got an aggregate daily average use for the prior week of 9 hours. The 2 hours I see there are for entertainment, which leads me to wonder if Apple hasn't figured out yet that TikTok is Entertainment, not Creativity. That or your daughter is a major contributor to that app's media base.

One thing - you've got your report set to "All Devices". Does your daughter have a MacBook or an iPad? Picking a device will help you drill down to where the time is being spent - could be a significant amount of time is on homework.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2020 9:55 AM in response to m0mma35

I'd assume the gray areas are "other", meaning general use, email, navigating on the phone, etc. Tiny percentage of usage anyway.

If I'm reading your screen grab correctly, seems you've got an aggregate daily average use for the prior week of 9 hours. The 2 hours I see there are for entertainment, which leads me to wonder if Apple hasn't figured out yet that TikTok is Entertainment, not Creativity. That or your daughter is a major contributor to that app's media base.

One thing - you've got your report set to "All Devices". Does your daughter have a MacBook or an iPad? Picking a device will help you drill down to where the time is being spent - could be a significant amount of time is on homework.

Aug 30, 2020 10:05 AM in response to emilio-lizardo

Thank you! I’ll double check the All Devices settings. We have a family iPad that’s connected to my account. She just has iPhone.

TikTok drives me crazy. She just got her phone over the summer so I’m still setting boundaries as I learn about the features. It’s really entertainment but I also think of it as social media.

My son’s graph has quite a bit of grey area. I’m wondering if he’s on adult sites that are un-categorized. He’s 14 so yeah I expect it.🤣🤣. He says stop being a Karen, but I can’t help it.

Aug 30, 2020 3:57 PM in response to m0mma35

You can restrict what web sites the kids can access by going into Screen Time, then Content & Privacy Restrictions, then Web Content. You can disable any adult sites, or even specify a list of sites the kids are allowed to visit. That last part is probably more time-intensive on your part, but might be a starting point.

And parents are exempted from being Karen -- but remember this time when the kids get older and become your tech support. They will ;)

Screen time graph

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.