Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant

My migration assistant has stopped working on both my desktop and my laptop since I upgraded to OS 10.15.6. Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. Fred.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 8:19 AM

Migration Assistant is not an "automatic" function. Rather, it is a function to import data from one computer to another.

Things that would cause problems for it:

1. Importing old incompatible applications.
  2. loss of connectivity between the computers.
  3. trying to import data from a newer operating system.
  4. Lack of space to migrate the data. Note your total imported data should not exceed 85% of the capacity of the computer coupled with the existing data on the system. Simultaneous running of background backup programs such as Time Machine may create a problem for this, as it won't know which files to migrate. Turn off those background programs from Apple Menu -> System Preferences before running.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002463

is a link to Etrecheck, a program that helps you find Launchdaemons which are running in the background which could prevent the migration assistant from running when chosen.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 8:19 AM in response to FshnFred

Migration Assistant is not an "automatic" function. Rather, it is a function to import data from one computer to another.

Things that would cause problems for it:

1. Importing old incompatible applications.
  2. loss of connectivity between the computers.
  3. trying to import data from a newer operating system.
  4. Lack of space to migrate the data. Note your total imported data should not exceed 85% of the capacity of the computer coupled with the existing data on the system. Simultaneous running of background backup programs such as Time Machine may create a problem for this, as it won't know which files to migrate. Turn off those background programs from Apple Menu -> System Preferences before running.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002463

is a link to Etrecheck, a program that helps you find Launchdaemons which are running in the background which could prevent the migration assistant from running when chosen.

Migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.