Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have turned on text message forwarding and it still doesn't work on my mac

When I try to send a message to someone that I am currently texting on my iPhone I am getting the "not registered with iMessage" message. I have followed the instructions on the Apple Support page for turning on text message forwarding (which, as I can see from my history I have messaged with this person from my mac in the past). It still doesn't work. I noticed after the last updates that I stopped seeing my iMessages and SMS/MMS texts that I was sending from my phone on my desktop. This is a bit of a pain as I like to send the longer texts or attachments from my desktop.

Can't seem to get this to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 3:07 PM

Hello Mudwasp73, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're no longer able to send messages from your Mac to a contact, which you could do previously. You're also no longer seeing all your messages on your Mac that you've sent from your iPhone. 

If this is correct, first, check to see that these are the steps you followed to verify that the Text Message Forwarding was set up: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac.

Next, follow these troubleshooting steps:

1 - Close Messages on the Mac. If Messages will not quit, follow these steps to force it to quit it on the Mac: How to force an app to quit on your Mac

2 - Quit Messages on your iPhone with these steps:.How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

3 - Restart your iPhone.

4 - Restart your Mac: Log out, sleep, restart, or shut down your Mac

5 - With both devices back up and running check to see if you can send messages from your Mac. 

To see the same messaging history on both devices, you may want to use Messages in iCloud. This article will give you more details about it: Keep all your messages in iCloud.

All the best.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 3:07 PM in response to Mudwasp73

Hello Mudwasp73, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're no longer able to send messages from your Mac to a contact, which you could do previously. You're also no longer seeing all your messages on your Mac that you've sent from your iPhone. 

If this is correct, first, check to see that these are the steps you followed to verify that the Text Message Forwarding was set up: How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac.

Next, follow these troubleshooting steps:

1 - Close Messages on the Mac. If Messages will not quit, follow these steps to force it to quit it on the Mac: How to force an app to quit on your Mac

2 - Quit Messages on your iPhone with these steps:.How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

3 - Restart your iPhone.

4 - Restart your Mac: Log out, sleep, restart, or shut down your Mac

5 - With both devices back up and running check to see if you can send messages from your Mac. 

To see the same messaging history on both devices, you may want to use Messages in iCloud. This article will give you more details about it: Keep all your messages in iCloud.

All the best.

I have turned on text message forwarding and it still doesn't work on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.