Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text forwarding on Mac

I have an iPhone 11 and I am trying to turn on text forwarding on my iPhone so I may send and receive messages from both my Mac and iPhone. I have two appleIDs and I accidentally turned on text message forwarding on the one I don’t currently use anymore and for some reason can no longer turn it on The id I want to use. I have tried restarting both devices and re logging in but nothing seems to work. The text forwarding option never shows up on the account I’m actually trying to use Yet it always appears on my other account. I have tried disabling iMessage and turning off text forwarding on the account in no longer using but the option is still not showing up on my current account. What can I do to enable the Text message forwarding prompt to appear on the account I want to link it to instead of my old one?

iPhone 11

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 2:44 AM

For text message forwarding both devices needs to be on the same Apple ID

1. Set up text message forwarding
    1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
    2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
    3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2022 2:44 AM in response to Jchampion136

For text message forwarding both devices needs to be on the same Apple ID

1. Set up text message forwarding
    1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. On your Mac, open Messages, choose Messages > Preferences, then click iMessage. Make sure that you're signed in to iMessage with the same Apple ID on all your devices.
    2. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding.*
    3. Choose which devices can send and receive text messages from your iPhone. If you're not using two-factor authentication for your Apple ID, a verification code appears on each of your other devices: enter that code on your iPhone.

Text forwarding on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.