Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMS forwarding to MacBook issue.

Good evening. Earlier this week, I noticed that my SMS messages on my iPhone weren't forwarding to my MacBook. I've tried signing out of iMessage on both my MacBook and iPhone as well as toggling the "Text Message Forwarding" option and it didn't seem to work. Does anybody have any ideas?

Here's the exact hardware that I have:

2021 14" MacBook Pro, M1 Pro chip

iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Posted on Apr 30, 2022 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2022 10:46 AM

Make sure the OS on both devices is completely up to date.

Try powering off both devices. Make sure to close all open apps before powering off the devices. Then power both devices back on.

This is probably the best advice I have to offer. I've also encountered odd issues with the Messages app before. Usually I have solved the issues by doing these things and toggling various aspects of the Messages app on/off. Hopefully a more knowledgeable contributor will have some other ideas.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Klpeeb

Make sure the OS on both devices is completely up to date.

Try powering off both devices. Make sure to close all open apps before powering off the devices. Then power both devices back on.

This is probably the best advice I have to offer. I've also encountered odd issues with the Messages app before. Usually I have solved the issues by doing these things and toggling various aspects of the Messages app on/off. Hopefully a more knowledgeable contributor will have some other ideas.

May 1, 2022 11:58 AM in response to HWTech

So while I was on the call with Apple Support last night, the advisor had me reinstall the OS. I logged out of iMessage on my Mac and turned off iMessage on my phone, reactivated both, toggled the text message forwarding option on and off and it worked again. Hopefully I won’t run into that issue again.

May 31, 2022 4:22 PM in response to Klpeeb

Have you installed the latest iOS updates on your iPhone and macOS updates on your Mac? I believe both of them just had new updates released.

Try rebooting the iPhone by powering it completely off. I also recommend closing all the open apps first before powering off the phone. Once the iPhone is completely powered off, then power it back on. You may want to reboot the Mac as well, but best to try one at a time so you can see if the issue is with just one of the two devices. Again, make sure Messages on the Mac is completely closed using Command + Q, or by clicking "File --> Quit" in the Messages app.

If this does not work, then try the steps which worked last time. Again, try those steps on just one of the devices first to see if the issue is with just one of those devices.

Every once in a while on my iPhone I have to toggle Messages off & on. Sometimes along with the SMS switch. So it would not surprise me that you may have to do something similar. I've also had some issues on my Mac as well which has required me to logout of my AppleID & log back in.

Maybe another more knowledgeable contributor will have some better ideas. I'm no expert with Messages/iMessages.

SMS forwarding to MacBook issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.