Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop iCloud from downloading photos to my Mac

Hi,

I am using macOS Catalina 10.15.1, I TURN OFF all iCloud photos, My Photo Stream, Shared Albums, and disable "Copy items to the Photos library" in the photos preference. However, every time I take a photo using my iPhone (I have iCloud photo turned on on my iPhone) and it gets uploaded to iCloud, I saw the photo went into my Photos app on my Mac, which occupy a lot of space on my laptop. I want the Photos app on my Mac empty because there is no need to show my pictures on both my iPhone and Mac and to save space. How can I solve this? Has anyone experienced this before, please help!

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 9:21 AM

Have you rebooted since disabling?

Also as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and make it the System Photo Library. Reboot, delete the test library and open your current library and make it the System Photo Library again. See if that will keep photos from downloading to your library.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 9:21 AM in response to Old Toad

Have you rebooted since disabling?

Also as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and make it the System Photo Library. Reboot, delete the test library and open your current library and make it the System Photo Library again. See if that will keep photos from downloading to your library.

How to stop iCloud from downloading photos to my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.