Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two USB-C devices to one USB-C port?

Is there such a device that will allow me to use an external display, an external ssd and a Wacom tablet at the same time? There are literally hundreds of USB2/HDMI/ETc Etc 6 or 7 or 9 to 1 USB-C, but for the life of me I cannot find one device that will allow me to effectively split one USB-C input into two. Anyone know of such a thing? Its driving me mad.

I am using a Macbook Pro 13" 2019

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 1:29 PM

The full USB-C signal cannot be 'split', so unfortunately you're not going to find what you're looking for. (Note that Apple clearly knows this, and it's why the higher end MBPs – 16" and the upmarket 13" – have four TB3/USB-C ports, whereas the base MBP and the MBA have only two ports).

The closest thing is the Belkin USB-C™ 4-Port Mini Hub which takes a USB-C input and splits it into two USB-C and two USB-A ports...but, that hub does not support pass-through charging nor does it support video.

As Grant Bennet-Alder suggests, you may be able to drop the drawing tablet down to USB-A (with a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter, Amazon search), and get one of the hubs you found that have a single USB-C port and HDMI-DP output, connect the display to the video out, the USB-C to the SSD, and the Wacom to a USB-A port.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 1:29 PM in response to TheHorror

The full USB-C signal cannot be 'split', so unfortunately you're not going to find what you're looking for. (Note that Apple clearly knows this, and it's why the higher end MBPs – 16" and the upmarket 13" – have four TB3/USB-C ports, whereas the base MBP and the MBA have only two ports).

The closest thing is the Belkin USB-C™ 4-Port Mini Hub which takes a USB-C input and splits it into two USB-C and two USB-A ports...but, that hub does not support pass-through charging nor does it support video.

As Grant Bennet-Alder suggests, you may be able to drop the drawing tablet down to USB-A (with a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter, Amazon search), and get one of the hubs you found that have a single USB-C port and HDMI-DP output, connect the display to the video out, the USB-C to the SSD, and the Wacom to a USB-A port.

Sep 1, 2020 12:09 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks BobTheFisherman, but what I am finding is that there are all manner of USB hubs, but non specific to what I need. I can find them with USB 2, HDMI and SD card in one device, and they will have only 1 USB-C slot on them. Some have 9 inputs and only one USB-C input, which is clearly power.

Am I missing something?

Many thanks for your reply

Sep 1, 2020 12:15 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Yep, me too. I'm finding much the same in my searches.

But what you'll notice is that they are effectively all adapters of one type or another, and they will only ever have a single USB-C port. I have a USB-C SSD, a USB-C monitor and a USB-C drawing tablet. I want to connect all of these to use at the same time, but cannot find anything that will allow that. If all of those deices I named were older USB then I would not have a problem at all!

Sep 1, 2020 12:28 PM in response to TheHorror

Then you need a usb-c hub. I must be missing something in your question. You connect the single usc-c connector on the hub to the usb-c port of your computer. If the hub is a 4 port usb-c hub you can connect 4 usb-c devices to it. If it is am 8 port hub you can connect 8 usb-c devices to it. The hub may need to be powered in order to support multiple devices.

I'm sorry I'm not understanding.

OK, now I think I understand. Searches bring up usb-c to usb3 or other connector hubs.

I'll look for what you need.

Sep 1, 2020 12:33 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks very much. So the items that you've linked to are examples of what I can find but cannot use. As far as I can see, there are no versions of that most recent link that are 4 port USB-C to USB-C anywhere. Not on NewEgg, not Amazon, not B&H. There are hundreds like the ones you've suggested, but none that handle exclusively USB-C. All of the devices I have seen, including your links are really adapters (like a 4xUBS3 to USB-C hub). I'm sorry if I haven't been clear about what I am looking for.!

Sep 1, 2020 12:49 PM in response to TheHorror

external display,

an external ssd and

a Wacom tablet

a full speed 4-way USB-C splitter at full data rate is impossible. So it is likely not available.

You may have to drop back to USB-A shaped ports for most of your devices (except the display, which may require a DisplayPort or HDMI conversion).

Converting to a USB-A shaped connectors (with USB-3 speeds) does not reduce the speed for SSD, and your Wacom tablet data rate is very slow, so no worries. Those fast SSD ports typically have a BLUE insert, to let you know they support USB-3 speed.

Two USB-C devices to one USB-C port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.