Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom Mailboxes From Mac Showing Up in iPhone Mail App Inbox

Hello,

I recently created a custom mailbox on the Apple Mail app on my MacBook Air. I have a custom rule which sends emails from certain people to this mailbox. It works perfectly on my Mac Mail client because the emails automatically go to the custom mailbox and do not show up in my inbox folder too.

However, on my iPhone the same thing does not happen. The custom mailbox does show up on my iPhone mail client, and I can go there and see all the same emails that are in the custom mailbox on my Mac. However, the problem is that my inbox on my iPhone mail app also contains the emails that are in the custom folder.

How can I make it so on my iPhone the messages that go to the custom mailbox do not also show up in my inbox the way it operates on my Mac?

Thanks so much for any help.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 12:42 PM

Hey there thecode792,

We understand that the Smart Mailbox behavior from your Mac is not fully transferring over to your iPhone. The emails that are moved on the Mac show up in the folder on your iPhone, but also in the main inbox. We'll be happy to help clarify about this.

It sounds like the folder that these emails are being sent to was also created on the mail server that you use for your emails. You could confirm this by checking the webmail client using a web browser.

With that in mind, it's expected that the Smart Mailbox rules and behaviors will not transfer over to the folder that was created on the server. These rules are isolated to the Mac Mail client.

One option might be to see if there are rules you can configure directly with your email service provider. This may be done through the web mail client too. If you are able to do this, you would want to disable the Smart Mailbox behavior on your Mac so there are not two sets of rules trying to do the same thing.

We hope this helps. Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 12:42 PM in response to thecode792

Hey there thecode792,

We understand that the Smart Mailbox behavior from your Mac is not fully transferring over to your iPhone. The emails that are moved on the Mac show up in the folder on your iPhone, but also in the main inbox. We'll be happy to help clarify about this.

It sounds like the folder that these emails are being sent to was also created on the mail server that you use for your emails. You could confirm this by checking the webmail client using a web browser.

With that in mind, it's expected that the Smart Mailbox rules and behaviors will not transfer over to the folder that was created on the server. These rules are isolated to the Mac Mail client.

One option might be to see if there are rules you can configure directly with your email service provider. This may be done through the web mail client too. If you are able to do this, you would want to disable the Smart Mailbox behavior on your Mac so there are not two sets of rules trying to do the same thing.

We hope this helps. Cheers!

Sep 15, 2020 7:46 PM in response to ryane77

Hi ryane77,

Apologies for the delayed reply, and thank you for taking the time to get back to me!

Interestingly enough, the issue resolved itself since I posted the thread. It is now working such that the emails that go to the special folder do not also show up in the inbox on my iPhone mail app.

In regards to the rest, I am not actually sure how to access or use the webmail client. But, seeing as how it resolved itself, I am okay to leave it be.

In any case, thank you again for taking the time to respond to me.

Have a wonderful day!

Custom Mailboxes From Mac Showing Up in iPhone Mail App Inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.