Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long does Migration Assistant take to transfer files?

I’m transferring information from my MacBook Air to my new MacBook Pro using Migration Assistant and it’s been well over an hour and a half. I’m wondering how long the process takes?

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 8:30 PM

It depends on how much data you're transferring and the method of transfer. Migrating 20-30 GB over a Thunderbolt 3 cable will take a few minutes. Migrating 100-200 GB over Wi-Fi will take a few hours.

2 replies

Sep 15, 2020 2:04 PM in response to neuroanatomist

I'm doing the same thing - migrating from an '11 MBPro running Hi Sierra to a new MBPro (refurb) w/Catalina

MA worked pretty well - EXCEPT -- 2 apps I need to transfer from the old to the new (Quicken '07 and '15) and I don't see how to do just those 2 - only option I see is to Migrate 'all' apps ?

Using wi-fi/peer-to-peer because I don't have a cable that will connect the 2 devices

How long does Migration Assistant take to transfer files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.