Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I speed up the transfer?

I'm using the migration assistant to move everything from my old Mac to a new one. The estimated time to transfer everything is over 27 hours? Is there a way to speed it up?

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 10:18 AM

Are you using Migration Assistant and are you doing it over WiFi?

If you can hard wire them to your LAN that would increase the speed.

If you have a Time Machine backup of your old machine using it with Migration Assistant while it's connected to your new Mac would be the fastest

2 replies

Feb 11, 2021 10:33 AM in response to PT1138

When you buy a new Mac the easiest, quickest and most reliable method is to simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable before you turn on the new Mac. When you start the new Mac for the first time it will startup Setup Assistant (SA), SA will get to a point where it asks if you are migrating from another computer, select Yes  and follow the on-screen prompts and it's done! It is THAT simple.

If you have already done SA on the new computer then simply connect the Time Machine External Hard Disk using a USB cable and launch Migration Assistant (MA) which is located in Applications - Utilities - MA. Then follow the on-screen prompts.

The ONLY difference between MA and SA is MA will create a new user account that you need to log into.

Both SA and MA migrate applications (not 32 bit apps) , data files, settings, it does not migrate Mac OS itself. Some professional apps such as Adobe and Microsoft apps may require re-installing their apps as they will not allow them to be migrated. As long as you kept the security keys for installing their apps, it is not a big deal.

Finally, NEVER EVER use WiFi to migrate, this will fail in almost 100% in my experience. WiFi was never intended to move large amounts of data at one time.

how can I speed up the transfer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.