Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The MacBook Pro I bought is "managed and supervised"?

Hi guys,

Recently I bought myself a preowned 16" MacBook Pro (i7) off of eBay, when I opened it and tried to set it up, I noticed that, as I connected to the internet, it loaded up a "remote control" window under the name of Dyson Ltd. As it booted it, it took me straight to a login window - I asked the seller what was going on and she provided me with the login details to get access to the Mac itself.

I then go into system preferences and I see all of these "Profiles" I can't remove and a note saying "This Mac is supervised and managed by Dyson Technology Ltd". None of this was specified in the eBay listing - it was just said that this MacBook was only a few months old, hardly been used etc.

I seem to be able to use it fine without any limitations apart from a big "Not Connected" dropdown menu on the top toolbar but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be using this, it feels super sketchy.

Does anybody know anyway I can remove Dyson Ltd from supervising this Mac or not? Is there a terminal command or something to get rid of irremovable Profiles?

Thanks

I'll attach images of what I've explained so it's more clear:

MacBook

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 5:34 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 12, 2020 5:43 AM in response to dharmaburns

dharmaburns wrote:

Hi guys,

Recently I bought myself a preowned 16" MacBook Pro (i7) off of eBay, when I opened it and tried to set it up, I noticed that, as I connected to the internet, it loaded up a "remote control" window under the name of Dyson Ltd. As it booted it, it took me straight to a login window - I asked the seller what was doing on and she provided me with the login details to get access to the Mac itself.

I go into system preferences and I see all of these "Profiles" I can't remove and a note saying "This Mac is supervised and managed by Dyson Technology Ltd". None of this was specified in the eBay listing - it was just said that this MacBook was only a few months old, hardly been used etc.

I seem to be able to use it fine without any limitation but apart from a big "Not Connected" dropdown menu on the top toolbar but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be using this, it feels super sketchy.

Does anybody know anyway I can remove Dyson Ltd from supervising this Mac or not? Is there a terminal command or something to get rid of irremovable Profiles?

Thanks

I'll attach images of what I've explained so it's more clear:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/92b73c04-3b5b-4782-8250-0ff01a17dbe3
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/11be47f8-8039-43e0-b413-2cf120a7b9e3

Your machine is bound to Enterprise, mobile, active directory list— you are not admin and do not have control of your Mac as is.

They machine was not set up/ cleared for resale: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

In this situation your hands are tied—

and you would need to contact Dyson Technology Ltd IT department, in an effort to deprovision the device.

Sep 12, 2020 1:30 PM in response to dharmaburns

You can, at your option, erase that Mac completely and configure it as your own. That is the only way it will ever be useful to you. Depending on the MDM provisioning profile even that may not be possible.

Of course the seller should have done that, and was irresponsible for selling it to you in that condition. Ideally you should contact the seller through eBay Messaging and insist upon an immediate, full and complete refund. The seller will comply lest his or her account become suspended. You will be inconvenienced but there's no way to avoid that.

If you want a trouble-free experience buy a Mac from Apple's Refurbished and Clearance page.

Buying a used Mac should be left to very experienced Mac users who happen to stumble upon a screaming good deal.

Sep 12, 2020 1:40 PM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

You can, at your option, erase that Mac completely and configure it as your own. That is the only way it will ever be useful to you. Depending on the MDM provisioning profile even that may not be possible.

The OP mentions the Mac is pretty new (or at least, was advertised to be so), meaning it likely has a T2 chip. I suspect your latter point is spot on.

The MacBook Pro I bought is "managed and supervised"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.