Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer doesn't go off until face recognition is unlocked

My ringer never goes off for things like text messages and app notifications until I put my face to my phone and the face recognition unlocks my phone. I have the Iphone 11, my phone isn't muted and do not disturb isn't on. It will very rarely ring with my phone being unlocked but 95% of the time I don't hear my ringer go off which, if you can't tell, kind of defeats the purpose of having the ringer on in the first place. I've searched both the internet and my settings and can't fix this and it's EXTREMELY annoying.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 2:43 PM

Hi SpiraSpirit,

Thanks for replying with that information. To double-check, if you turn "Raise to Wake" on, you hear your notifications, but if you turn it off, you're able to replicate the issue, correct? As a test, try tapping Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Is the "Attention Aware Features" setting on or off? Does it make a difference in the behavior if you test it both on and off? About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or iPad Pro

Cheers.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 2:43 PM in response to SpiraSpirit

Hi SpiraSpirit,

Thanks for replying with that information. To double-check, if you turn "Raise to Wake" on, you hear your notifications, but if you turn it off, you're able to replicate the issue, correct? As a test, try tapping Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Is the "Attention Aware Features" setting on or off? Does it make a difference in the behavior if you test it both on and off? About Attention Aware features on your iPhone X or iPad Pro

Cheers.

Sep 17, 2020 6:11 AM in response to SpiraSpirit

Hi SpiraSpirit,

Thanks for the post! We know it's important to be able to hear your notifications. As we understand it, unless your device is unlocked by Face ID, you don't hear most of your notifications; is that right?

By any chance, do you use an Apple Watch? If so, see if this might explain what's happening: Notifications on your Apple Watch

"If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone, instead of your Apple Watch.

If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked with your passcode."

Also, you might double-check this setting if you haven't already: Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

"Manage notifications

To manage your notifications from the Lock screen or Notification Center:

1. Swipe left over an alert or group of alerts.
    • Tap Manage, then select from these options: Deliver Quietly: These notifications appear in the Notification Center, but don't show up on the Lock screen, play sounds, or show a banner or badge icon.
    • Turn Off: This turns off all notifications for a specific app. To turn this back on, go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, and tap Allow Notifications. 

You can also tap Settings to change your alert styles or alert settings for a specific app."

Keep us posted on the issue. If that doesn't help, be sure to include your iOS version in your reply.

Take care.

Sep 17, 2020 7:15 AM in response to ryane77

Hi, I tried all of those options but nothing seemed to work, however I turned "raise to wake" back on, as I shut it off since it kills my battery quicker, and that has seemed to fix it but I'd rather not have to keep the "raise to wake" option on.

I'm on ios 13.7 and I don't own an apple watch or any external device similar to it. Is there anything else you can suggest that may fix this to where I don't have to keep the "raise to wake" option on?

Ringer doesn't go off until face recognition is unlocked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.