Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Mail problem. Sender and Subject get swapped with another email

In the last month or so, I've had 8 or 10 emails that have swapped Sender and Subject with another email. For instance, I'll receive an email from George@xxx.com, but it will appear as coming from Macworld Daily. The email from Macworld Daily will appear as coming from George@xxx.com.

If I click on the Macworld Daily line, the email that appears is the one written by George and also displays the correct From and To information. BUT if I reply to "George's" email, the reply is sent to the Macworld Daily address and with that subject.

This is really confusing behavior. Does anyone know a way to manually type in or correct the Sender and Subject. Right now when I look at my mail list, I can't tell which messages (in this case) are from George. See below for the line I have to click on to see the message from George.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 3:29 PM

Hello the-design-guy2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that the email headings are being mixed up and causing you to reply to the wrong contacts. In a situation like this, try rebuilding the mailbox as described in this article:

Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 3:29 PM in response to the-design-guy2

Hello the-design-guy2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that the email headings are being mixed up and causing you to reply to the wrong contacts. In a situation like this, try rebuilding the mailbox as described in this article:

Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards.

Sep 17, 2020 5:34 PM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

Thank you Alwayswantingtohelp!

That seems to have cleared up the problem. When I first ran the Rebuild, it corrected the Sender and Subject, but changed some of the other senders to (I can't remember the exact wording, but something like) "No From address". I ran it again and after a switching to another mailbox and coming back, the From/Sender had updated itself correctly.

Thank you for the tip!

Catalina Mail problem. Sender and Subject get swapped with another email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.