Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 iPhone update - camera not working.

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 7 (model number: MN922X/A) and I recently updated the software to version 14 (iOS 14) and now my camera doesn’t work.

I have done some obvious troubleshooting steps of restarting my iPhone, and switching between camera modes and applications. The front and rear cameras are both black.

Anyone have any idea on how I can go about fixing this issue? looking forward to reading any thoughts you might have :)

Please note, I had not performed a backup of my iPhone before proceeding with the update.

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2021 9:08 AM

Why re-print lies? Apple did work on the topic of this ancient thread and fixed it last quarter.

If you genuinely think 14.4 rather than 14.0 is still causing this and you want it to be considered in 14.5.x or 15

1. Start a new thread specifically referencing 14.4
  2. Put in a fresh bug report for 14.4

Product Feedback - Apple

Nobody of any significance ( I including myself) will ever read this thread again and offer advice. Neither experts, nor Apple. It's too old.

Chat amongst yourselves by all means if it make you feel good but nothing will happen as a result.

171 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2021 9:08 AM in response to imfurlife

Why re-print lies? Apple did work on the topic of this ancient thread and fixed it last quarter.

If you genuinely think 14.4 rather than 14.0 is still causing this and you want it to be considered in 14.5.x or 15

1. Start a new thread specifically referencing 14.4
  2. Put in a fresh bug report for 14.4

Product Feedback - Apple

Nobody of any significance ( I including myself) will ever read this thread again and offer advice. Neither experts, nor Apple. It's too old.

Chat amongst yourselves by all means if it make you feel good but nothing will happen as a result.

Mar 27, 2021 5:13 PM in response to jamescagney

"....I’m telling you, it was never fixed. I don’t see a single person here who said it was fixed for them. Can you show where Apple said or did anything about this?...."

iOS 14.0.1

This update includes bug fixes for your iPhone.

• Fixes an issue that could cause default browser and mail settings to reset after restarting your iPhone
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent camera previews from displaying on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent your iPhone from connecting to Wi-Fi networks
  • Resolves an issue that could prevent sending email with some mail providers
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent images from appearing in the News widget

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222 

Sep 18, 2020 3:57 PM in response to myles173

I have the same problem with my iPhone 7 plus model MN4V2QN/A, after automatic upgrade of ios 14 my iPhone’s camera is just black, even on facetime, fb messenger video call, whatsapp video call etc, and I have a problem before that my internal mic is not working too after some upgrade.. I did force restart too, still not working.. I’ll back up my phone tonight and see if hard reset will work, but that’s the same result probably like my mic, didn’t fix it. I guess the rumors is true about the company trying to make the owner of old phone buy a new one.. hope they fixed this soon.. I know it’s not a hardware defect cause I used the camera before the upgrade.. thanks!

[Image Edited by Moderator]

Sep 17, 2020 5:33 AM in response to myles173

Unwise, but make a backup now.

There is a small chance you may have a hardware problem

First try a forced restart

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iph8903c3ee6/ios

If that does not help you may need to take it in for inspection and you will need to back it up and wipe it, so why not try that now.

The next procedure would be to restore your device, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. I would first make sure you have a backup so your data is saved.

Here is a guide for those steps:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

and see how it goes

If no improvement send it for repair or replace

If it works well restore from backup

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

Sep 20, 2020 10:50 PM in response to Ambeeee

"...Are you employed by apple or something that is causing you to have such a hard time believing this? ..,"

Nobody on here trying to get to the bottom of this works for Apple.

We do believe it else we would not be asking people to try things or offer workarounds.

"...249 people clicked “me too” ..."

you should see the thread with 3000.

but Contact - Official Apple Support

Feb 23, 2021 7:58 PM in response to LD150

It’s a software issue, not hardware. Just look at how many people are having the same issue after the 10.4 update. And the camera works in other apps. Replacing the camera doesn’t fix this, based on what I read in the thread. Going down to 13 would solve the problem, but apparently we can’t do that anymore. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251802549

Apr 11, 2021 11:47 AM in response to vchourio

No, to my knowledge there is no fix. I’ve tried just about everything there is, including contains Apple support. I had to buy a new iPhone.

The next things you can try I believe are to

1) enter an iPhone bug report at the link below (select iPhone, bug report) and

2) create a new thread.

But there’s no guarantee as to if or when Apple will fix this. They should fix it, as those devices are still supported.

I would tell them that:

1) there’s over 8,000 “me too” clicks on this thread and the others on this issue;

2) the problem was not fixed by 14.0.1

3) the problem is not just iPhone 7. iPhone 8 and 10 users have also chimed in here.

4) the problem has been going on for 6 months, beginning the day after IOS 14 was released and these threads were opened.

5) what’s the delay?

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Sep 19, 2020 9:32 AM in response to myles173

Hi there, I updated my iPhone XS today and since then neither the Camera is working nor the flash light. All the apps that uses the cameras are not working as well like messenger video, FaceTime, Face ID, instavideo, etc. I have tried almost everything including the hard reset but still it doesn’t work. I am pretty sure that its not a hardware issue as my camera was working just fine right before the updated. I searched almost everywhere to fix the problem but found out that there are almost 2k reports regarding this issue from the new update. I am from Nepal and there are no any Apple authorized service center in my country. Please help.

Sep 24, 2020 11:57 AM in response to melva19

still speaker grayed out and not working ...

during conversation with Apple care they clearly said I do not have issue with my 7 plus on hardware and software. With new iOS 14.0.1 my camera and flashlight issue has fixed Bt speaker still the same ...those who has still issue with speaker grayed out from previous iOS update, let's make a complaint in 1 more subject and let them notice once more...

Feb 24, 2021 8:22 AM in response to LD150

Please stop wasting my time when you are not actually reading anything. There are 47 pages of comments in that thread. It’s started with some phones with 14 & was never fixed. It happened to more people with each update. Since you don’t take the time to read anything, here is a screenshot of the last comment on page 47

iOS 14 iPhone update - camera not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.