Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iclould Pages EPUB Tag on Images Read on other Devices

I am not too sure if I put that in the right section

I convert a document to epub using Pages, when reading on ipad no problem, however when readin on android, there is an OBJ tag next to each images; see the image below;

is there a way to fix that?

also show on calibre viewer editor

(epub from pages windows)

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 4:53 PM

Lol ^ . He entered the equation!

Anyway, I have the fix. Solved it after days and days of fiddling and around 100 exports:

(along with solving the Upload Failed on Google Play Books problem. So proud.)

So, in Pages when you set an image to "Move with Text" (as you should) it adds that OBJ tag. It's a unicode anchor for the image also known as an Object Replacement Character. You can see it by turning on Invisibles (command-shift-i).

You'll notice that the placement of that symbol in Pages is the exact spot that the OBJ tag shows up in your non-Apple ebook reader.

SO, you need to open up your epub in Calibre Editor and do a Find/Replace for that obj tag.

"But I don't see the OBJ tags in Calibre!" You can't see them in Calibre. But trust me, they're there.

OH, THEY'RE THERE, ALL RIGHT.

Solution?

Copy the OBJ tag from here: https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+FFFC The red one or the black one. Doesn't matter.

Now in Calibre, open any page of your ebook. Hit command-F and paste that invisible symbol. Leave the Replace field empty. Before you hit Find, be sure to select "All text files" at the bottom.

You can do Replace and Find to see them one by one but Replace all is faster.

And looky here:

Now Save a copy of the sucker and test it! That's the safe way. I also change the Title of the ebook in the epb.opf file for easy identification in the Google book store.

Voila! No pesky OBJ tags!

PEACE!

may you live long and prosper

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 4:53 PM in response to VikingOSX

Lol ^ . He entered the equation!

Anyway, I have the fix. Solved it after days and days of fiddling and around 100 exports:

(along with solving the Upload Failed on Google Play Books problem. So proud.)

So, in Pages when you set an image to "Move with Text" (as you should) it adds that OBJ tag. It's a unicode anchor for the image also known as an Object Replacement Character. You can see it by turning on Invisibles (command-shift-i).

You'll notice that the placement of that symbol in Pages is the exact spot that the OBJ tag shows up in your non-Apple ebook reader.

SO, you need to open up your epub in Calibre Editor and do a Find/Replace for that obj tag.

"But I don't see the OBJ tags in Calibre!" You can't see them in Calibre. But trust me, they're there.

OH, THEY'RE THERE, ALL RIGHT.

Solution?

Copy the OBJ tag from here: https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+FFFC The red one or the black one. Doesn't matter.

Now in Calibre, open any page of your ebook. Hit command-F and paste that invisible symbol. Leave the Replace field empty. Before you hit Find, be sure to select "All text files" at the bottom.

You can do Replace and Find to see them one by one but Replace all is faster.

And looky here:

Now Save a copy of the sucker and test it! That's the safe way. I also change the Title of the ebook in the epb.opf file for easy identification in the Google book store.

Voila! No pesky OBJ tags!

PEACE!

may you live long and prosper

Sep 17, 2020 6:37 PM in response to JeanDolphin

I entered that f(x) equation in Pages v10.1 and exported to EPUB with reflow and embedded fonts. I saw no other content in Calibre 4.19.0, in Sigil 1.2.0/1.3.0 Preview, or in Apple Books. The equation is stored in the EPUB as a png image, and that may be the reason Android is flagging it as an OBJ.

Other than Page's Export To : EPUB : panel, you have no other control over how Pages converts Pages document content into EPUB3. Apple's focus is on Pages exported EPUB viewable on Apple Books, and not attempting to make it compatible with other operating systems and EPUB readers.

Iclould Pages EPUB Tag on Images Read on other Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.