Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 and14 update - Mic and camera stopped working on iphone 7

I have an iPhone 7, bought in 2016. First, with iOS 13 update, Mic and speaker stopped working, speaker button greyed out. I am dependent solely on Airpods. So I can’t make or receive calls without bluetooth, which poses a big risk when I am out and forget to take my airpods along. How is one supposed to make an emergency call?

Now with iOS 14 update, Apple has added to the issue by blacking out the camera. The 2 basic features of a phone, namely calling and camera, are rendered useless, all thanks to these updates.

Please let me know if there is any solution to both these problems with my iPhone 7.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 7:03 AM

I have this exact problem. iOS13 update broke my mic, and iOS14 broke my camera. Apple has run a hardware diagnostic and can find no hardware fault, reset the phone and the problems persist. Their solution was to buy me a new phone! The software update is the reason my phone is broke, I saw it happen before my eyes twice, and now I can see other people have the exact same problem. But Apple won't admit the fault could lie in their updates!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 7:03 AM in response to SaraswatiSwamy

I have this exact problem. iOS13 update broke my mic, and iOS14 broke my camera. Apple has run a hardware diagnostic and can find no hardware fault, reset the phone and the problems persist. Their solution was to buy me a new phone! The software update is the reason my phone is broke, I saw it happen before my eyes twice, and now I can see other people have the exact same problem. But Apple won't admit the fault could lie in their updates!

Sep 19, 2020 8:27 AM in response to MillionsKnives

Exactly. It’s completely a fault at Apple’s end and they refuse to admit it. On top of it, they go and edit my comment above, and remove a few harsh sentences which they think are ‘non constructive complaints and rants’. Absolutely unacceptable. Why should we suffer because of their technical issues. I have paid for the phone in full and we all know iphones are anything but cheap. They are forcing us to buy the newer versions of the phone and penalising us for having an old version. I have seen the exact problems faced by so many customers, who have shared it the Apple forum as well. It’s about time they call back these phones and replace them. That is the least they can do to resolve this issue.

iOS 13 and14 update - Mic and camera stopped working on iphone 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.