Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resize smaller app icons in iOS 14

All icons are now smaller and thus more difficult to tap. They are slightly but noticable smaller. Throughout all history of iPhone, the icons have had certain dimensions. Now, Apple for some reason decided to ruin this. Just as everything else, bit by bit. But, does anyone know how to return the normal size, which has been throughout all older iOS-s?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 10:24 AM

103 replies

Jan 16, 2021 12:15 AM in response to neteisme

we have the right to discuss it on here and express our opinion.

Actually you don't.

The community's purpose is to answer technical support questions.

"Why" is not a technical support question.

Apple's terms, which you agreed to, state "to help people use Apple products..." Discussing Apple Policy, which is what you feel entitled to, is not permitted. The technical support answer has been provided. The icon sizes are not adjustable in iOS. End of discussion.

The change serves no purpose.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Sep 21, 2020 8:45 AM in response to NedGrimley

that you don't see a change, or that you don't think it is significant, or that is doesn't matter to you, doesn't help those of us that do see a change. And to us, it matters. it is a big deal.

Fair enough.

Nobody here can change this. Nobody here can explain why the changes were made.

The terms of this community are documented and clear. Discussing Apple Policy is not permitted.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/ is all we can offer.

Oct 19, 2020 4:01 PM in response to despot82

Last week some of my app icons were noticeably smaller than others.

I fixed mine like this:

hold down any app icon until all of start to wiggle.

while a small one is wiggling, hold down on it until it “ grows” back to size. Do this to each app icon that needs to grow back to size.

When they grow to correct size, I restarted my phone and that fixed it. *did this last week. They’ve stayed the correct size.

1. if all of your app icons are smaller, go to settings -Home Screen and Dock- and you can change them all to bigger size.

Jan 16, 2021 12:06 AM in response to neteisme

You used lobsterghost1’s name in the salutation, yet you addressed this comment to me.

And you said:

neteisme wrote:

The change serves no purpose.

That’s actually incorrect. Additional blank space is used on the Home Screen to provide functionality such as shown under “Find and hide pages on your Home Screen” here.

Organize the Home Screen and App Library on your iPhone - Apple Support

Jan 16, 2021 2:43 AM in response to lrostoen

. THAT is what helps those ox us on here looking for solutions.

What part of "there is no solution to be found here" is unclear?

Nobody here can address your complaints. Apple does not provide direct support here. I am not Apple.

I have not said the issue is insignificant, so please be careful with your accusations. It is clear some users don't like the change.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

The best answer is explaining why there was a change, the need for that change

Again, WHY questions will not be answered here.

Sep 18, 2020 11:43 AM in response to despot82

OK, perhaps you see something I don’t see. Or perhaps it affects your model iPhone and not mine.

I have not read about this in any iOS 14 writeup, and I’ve read many writeups. As I said, varying size Home Screen icons may appear because widgets may now appear on the Home Screen. Certainly some of those widgets may be quite large. The “Organize your Home Screen ...” article above provides more details.

Sep 18, 2020 5:09 PM in response to despot82

despot82 wrote:

I am just saying, the new ios 14 has smaller icons. Significantly smaller, on iPhone SE.
If you still don't believe this ugly truth, you can check for yourself here:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/401522/icons-got-smaller-in-ios-14-how-to-return-them-to-normal-size

Is that a bit over the top? Ugly truth? Your talking about a very tiny discrepancy in the size of the icons in iOS 14 from iOS 13.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 18, 2020 11:14 PM in response to despot82

I noticed this as well on my XR and I figured that the dots indicating the position got bigger since these can now be tapped on and dragged. They had to be made larger to accomodate fingers. However, the icons had to be reduced slightly in size to allow space for this. Notice the larger gap between the dock and the icons now.

In my opinion, the dots and the drag feature is useless. In fact, i would get rid of it altogether. I know my screens, i don't get lost, no need. I'd prefer the icons being the old size, filling the entire screen.

I also don't like widgets mixed in with apps. I use the home screen(s) to launch apps, no need for any small size info that i can see in the app properly. There's a swipe left to widgets if needed, easy, no confusion.

Resize smaller app icons in iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.