Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" message

I get the referenced message. Use MacOS Catalina, and just upgraded my iPhone to iOS 14. Yet, my iPhone connects to my Mac without issue. Is this really needed? And if not, how do I turn off the notification? Since Apple isn't referenced first and foremost in the message, I have my suspicions. Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 3:54 PM

I listened to advice from Apple and upgraded directly from my iPhone (I wasn't made aware that it was a MAJOR upgrade). Now, my Mac refuses to acknowledge my iPhone in iTunes ("A software update is required to connect to Joseph's iPhone). That sucks, because I CANNOT upgrade beyond Mohave. The very expensive solid modeling software I use has not yet upgraded to 64 bit. Per them, it's a huge job, requiring a total rewrite of their very complex software. They MAY have a beta version the end of the year.

I'm an Apple user, Apple advocate, and Apple investor since the 80's. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Or do I have to write to Tim. Never played that card, but this really chaps my hide.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 3:54 PM in response to gat123

I listened to advice from Apple and upgraded directly from my iPhone (I wasn't made aware that it was a MAJOR upgrade). Now, my Mac refuses to acknowledge my iPhone in iTunes ("A software update is required to connect to Joseph's iPhone). That sucks, because I CANNOT upgrade beyond Mohave. The very expensive solid modeling software I use has not yet upgraded to 64 bit. Per them, it's a huge job, requiring a total rewrite of their very complex software. They MAY have a beta version the end of the year.

I'm an Apple user, Apple advocate, and Apple investor since the 80's. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Or do I have to write to Tim. Never played that card, but this really chaps my hide.

Sep 18, 2020 12:35 PM in response to gat123

If I remember correctly, I clicked on the "learn more" button that was on then dialog and was taken to an Apple Support Page the explained what it was and why I was getting it.

Also, from a google search, one article says:

"This message usually means that iTunes does not recognize your iOS device because your iOS device is running a newer version of the iOS software that your Mac supports."

MtD

"Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.