Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fitness app not working with iPhone on iOS 14 and Apple Watch

Does anyone have issues since updating to iOS14 the fitness app doesn’t work with iPhone or Apple Watch?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 12:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 12:57 AM

I have the exact same problem - even the route of my previous workouts display only the starting location. It seems to be a bigger SW problem, since other users are reporting this as well...

I‘ve tried unpairing / re-pairing, resetting / restoring (AW + iPhone) and setting up as new ( AW + iPhone) - nothing seems to work.

I guess we need to wait until Apple fixes this issue with a future SW update.

In the meantime we need to address this issue in a single community thread - this one has the most replies so far (please follow up there):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251806066

99 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 12:57 AM in response to ulffrommalmö

I have the exact same problem - even the route of my previous workouts display only the starting location. It seems to be a bigger SW problem, since other users are reporting this as well...

I‘ve tried unpairing / re-pairing, resetting / restoring (AW + iPhone) and setting up as new ( AW + iPhone) - nothing seems to work.

I guess we need to wait until Apple fixes this issue with a future SW update.

In the meantime we need to address this issue in a single community thread - this one has the most replies so far (please follow up there):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251806066

Sep 22, 2020 7:43 AM in response to bertros1

Since I upgraded both:

• half of my workouts aren't synced with the fitness app anymore
  • My overall calorie usage displayed in the fitness app has declined from 2200-2800 a day to hardly 1000 a day! While steps are still counted, and calories within registered work-outs are counted correctly. Mouvement rings seem to work fine too.

I've been searching for a solution for days but nothing seems to help :(

Sep 27, 2020 1:45 AM in response to bertros1

I finally got it to work with the help of Apple support. Everything now works as it should, but I’m still disappointed this happened in the first place, and tHat it took almost hAlf a day to get everything set up back the way I like it.

here were the steps that worked for me:

1. unpair apple watch
  2. make an iCloud backup of the phone
  3. go to the health app, click on your profile (top right) and look at the bottom when the data was last backed up - it should be the same time as thE Back up above.
  4. erase all Contents and settings of your iPhone.
  5. set up your iPhone by restoring it from your last backup
  6. finally pair your watch again.

then wait until everything is restored, it will take a while until all apps are downloaded again, also until all health data is fully restored. I thought for a while that I lost most of my data, but it might take 24 hours until all data is back.

it will not correct any missing map data from past runs. But today’s run shows the course I took.

last gripe: I was on a steak of 811 days of making my move target. But because the prior days calorie data was the last to be restored, it appeared like I didn’t make my target yesterday, and the streak ended. Although by now all the data is back, it looks like the count is starting over.

Sep 28, 2020 10:40 AM in response to Pguich

I can confirm the steps that @pguich stated work. Mine is now fixed. They key is you have to erase your phone and settings and then restore from backup. Just unpairing and repairing watch is not enough.

1. unpair apple watch
  2. make an iCloud backup of the phone 
  3. go to the health app, click on your profile (top right) and look at the bottom when the data was last backed up - it should be the same time as thE Back up above. 
  4. erase all Contents and settings of your iPhone. 
  5. set up your iPhone by restoring it from your last backup
  6. finally pair your watch again. 

Oct 2, 2020 7:30 AM in response to Fitzy39

I had the very same problem, finally solved it:

1. Did a network re-set on iPhone and Apple Watch. (I did this a couple of times on both devices prior but a simple reset did not cure the problem).
  2. Unpaired my Apple Watch from my iPhone.
  3. Switched bot devices off.
  4. Switched iPhone and Apple Watch back on.
  5. The repaired Apple Watch to my iPhone and 'Hey Presto' all working well since then.

Hope this helps.

Sep 28, 2020 11:06 AM in response to UTmom6

Still no go with my new SE and my series 2 watch after iOS 14 update. When I misplace my phone, pinging it doesn’t work either . Some text messages come through on my watch, but many don’t. The watch app is stuck on this screen. I think my watch is too old to update, so tapping continue update is worthless. My only other option is to exit and reset watch, which I don’t want to do because I think I will lose all my data.

Sep 21, 2020 9:05 AM in response to bertros1

I’m having similar issues to those already posted in the thread. Updated both iPhone 7 and S4 watch this weekend. Went for outdoor walks with both watch and phone present yesterday and today. Recording seemed normal on my walk yesterday but did not check the data on my phone after. After my walk today I tried to look at the details of the workout on my phone, and while my total activity/steps/distance are synced appropriately, my workout doesn’t appear. Yesterday’s workout is also absent. I can still see today’s workout details on my watch though. I went back to workouts from prior to the updates and my GPS data is now missing for those. Hoping there’s a fix soon!

Sep 21, 2020 9:23 AM in response to fredlazza

I am having same issue. Health data was not loading. So I reset watch and am trying to repair. I get stuck on the app where it says Set up for myself - nothing happens once I click on this button and I can’t even cancel out of the screen. I did pair my watch to my work phone that does not have iOS 14 and it paired. Also I have Apple Watch series 2.

Sep 21, 2020 9:39 AM in response to bertros1

Yes, I am having a similar issue. An entire workout completely disappeared. Also, I am having issues with the activity data matching up with my health app data, I understand sometimes it is a little off, but it seems as if it is just not syncing all the data over. I am missing exercise minutes and active energy quite substantially. Tried to turn on and off and unpair and repair but nothing changed.

Sep 21, 2020 10:17 AM in response to staceyfromhernando

Yup. Same exact problem on iPhone 11 Pro Max with IOS14.0 and series 4 Apple Watch on WatchOS7.0. Watch workout app is working just fine and it logs my 7.5mile run I just did. However it will not pull it into the fitness app. I tried repairing watch, and it only worked for one workout and then stopped pulling in again. Need FIX Fast! Guess I'll just start putting manual entry into Strava.

Sep 21, 2020 7:32 PM in response to bertros1

Same problem.

Update phone to iso 14 on Satur. Record one run ok on Sunday on phone. But also sync to a third party app (HealthFit) to upload to stava and that went a bit weird. By Monday, no unique workouts recorded on my watch are syncing. I can see the data on my watch (series 4). Updated watch to OS 7 have tried re-syncing data but nothing. It is frustrating as move (steps), exercise (time) and stand are all syncing ok.

Reading through the thread it looks like it is a technical issue re the update and needs an Apple fix.

So gutted that my run data won't be record properly on Strava - because if it is not of Strava did it really happen ;-)

Has anyone tried recording a run in Strava on their watch and syncing - is that working?

Sep 22, 2020 2:00 AM in response to bertros1

Same problem with syncing (or the lack thereof) between phone and watch.

iPhone 8(iOS14.0) and AW5GPS(WiOS7.0).

Steps not syncronized, yesterday 10100 steps on watch, 9000 something on health app on iphone.

Exercise registered on watch not showing up in health app on iphone, although the calories are counted.

Tried repair, but the stepcounts are still of by a few hundred, never happened before on 13.x/6.x.

Annoying because i track my goals using the phone, and if the watch is not synced, I might lose this months challenge :-(

Fitness app not working with iPhone on iOS 14 and Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.