Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing lag in Notes app on iOS 14

Ever since I updated my phone whenever I type in notes my keyboard is very laggy and slow. It’s never happened before. Any solution??

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 7:09 AM

I just found a fix that worked for me! Supposedly the custom dictionary in iOS/iPadOS 14 isn’t compatible with the one from previous OS’s, and resetting the keyboard dictionary might reduce or eliminate the keyboard lag problem. I was doubtful at first, but I went ahead and reset my dictionary, and INSTANTLY the lag problem disappeared!

To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Another potential fix that might work for some of you is force-restarting your device. The steps for doing this is different depending on which iPhone/iPad you’re using, but it usually involves pressing and holding all the buttons on your device at once until the Apple logo appears. It didn’t work for me, but it might work for someone.

133 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 7:09 AM in response to Celaena_Sardothian

I just found a fix that worked for me! Supposedly the custom dictionary in iOS/iPadOS 14 isn’t compatible with the one from previous OS’s, and resetting the keyboard dictionary might reduce or eliminate the keyboard lag problem. I was doubtful at first, but I went ahead and reset my dictionary, and INSTANTLY the lag problem disappeared!

To do this, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Another potential fix that might work for some of you is force-restarting your device. The steps for doing this is different depending on which iPhone/iPad you’re using, but it usually involves pressing and holding all the buttons on your device at once until the Apple logo appears. It didn’t work for me, but it might work for someone.

Sep 23, 2020 8:08 PM in response to ItsSonda

afte IOS 14, typing is a real pain:

1) no response->can’t type fast at all, touching the key like missing the target even space bar or back space;

2) Cap-Lock feature totally lost-> no response on double tap; including end of sentence full stop by d-t on space bar;

3) restart takes longer to get back into proper status; very obvious the missing second hand on the clock and 4xclocks.

Sep 25, 2020 2:15 AM in response to Celaena_Sardothian

Updated to 14.0.1 today and the lag is HORRIBLE on my 6S! I wish I hadn't bothered. And my only options are to either turn off iCloud for Notes, which will delete hundreds of documents that I access regularly from my phone, or nuke a custom dictionary I've spent years building?? Totally unacceptable.

I use Notes more or less constantly to jot things down, check things off, etc. The lag is minimal in lightweight documents, but makes typing in my larger ones impossible.

Sep 26, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Celaena_Sardothian

I came to this thread because I searched “iPhone 11 laggy keyboard iOS 14”, lol, so it’s safe to say I’m experiencing the same thing.

I actually feel very good that many other (judging by the responses to this thread) are experiencing the same thing. I say that because surely Apple is now aware of it, and I’m guessing we will see this fixed in the next update or two to iOS 14.

Typing lag in Notes app on iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.