Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Display issue with streaming video service, Safari 14

When I use my external display through the lightning hub dongle I cannot watch Netflix. Youtube works fine. I'll see the video for about a second then the video goes black and all I'm left with are the subtitles and playback buttons.

Is this an issue with the hub, safari, or Netflix?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 7:57 PM

hoonyg Said:

"External Display issue with streaming video service, Safari 14: Unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I think it has something to do with the external monitor and safari. I was able to get Netflix working on the Retina display on private mode in Safari but when I moved the window to the external the screen went blank. For now, I'm using Firefox."

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Report this to Apple:

If it's working with Firefox, but not Safari, then it is a bug in Safari. So, inform Apple of this Compatibly issue of Safari's use with Netflix.

To Report this:

1. Go Here: Feedback - Safari - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary

Also...

B. Ask Netflix:

Perhaps this is a bug going on with Netflix. So contact Netflix, and see what they have to say on this.

Perform a Chat:

1. Go Here: Why isn't Netflix Working? - Netflix Support
  2. Click: "START LIVE CHAT" button on the bottom-right
  3. Select: "Tell us what your issue is"
  4. Fill Out: Describe your Issue
  5. Click: Submit button
  6. Proceed from there as necessary
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 7:57 PM in response to hoonyg

hoonyg Said:

"External Display issue with streaming video service, Safari 14: Unfortunately that did not solve the problem. I think it has something to do with the external monitor and safari. I was able to get Netflix working on the Retina display on private mode in Safari but when I moved the window to the external the screen went blank. For now, I'm using Firefox."

-------

Two Thoughts:

A. Report this to Apple:

If it's working with Firefox, but not Safari, then it is a bug in Safari. So, inform Apple of this Compatibly issue of Safari's use with Netflix.

To Report this:

1. Go Here: Feedback - Safari - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary

Also...

B. Ask Netflix:

Perhaps this is a bug going on with Netflix. So contact Netflix, and see what they have to say on this.

Perform a Chat:

1. Go Here: Why isn't Netflix Working? - Netflix Support
  2. Click: "START LIVE CHAT" button on the bottom-right
  3. Select: "Tell us what your issue is"
  4. Fill Out: Describe your Issue
  5. Click: Submit button
  6. Proceed from there as necessary

Sep 20, 2020 7:04 PM in response to hoonyg

hoonyg Said:

"External Display issue with streaming video service, Safari 14: When I use my external display through the lightning hub dongle I cannot watch Netflix. Youtube works fine. I'll see the video for about a second then the video goes black and all I'm left with are the subtitles and playback buttons. Is this an issue with the hub, safari, or Netflix?"

-------

Private Window

Play Netflix in a private window with Safari. See if that does the fix.

External Display issue with streaming video service, Safari 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.