Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"add faces" button is missing

Photos identifies a bunch of different people, but I'm not able to add people manually.

This should be possible via the "add faces" button in the "get info" screen, but the button is missing in my case...

Also, hovering over a persons face doesn't show a circle.

Does anyone have a clue?

ps. this is the case on my MacBook as well as on my iPhone.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 3:34 AM

On the iPhone it is not possible at all to add missing faces, that Photos has not detected automatically.

In Photos for Mac, you may want to enable the Faces circles to be always shown, as long as you are tagging faces.

• Go to the menu bar and enable "View > Show Face Names".
  • Now you should be able to see the circles, when you are viewing a photo enlarged.
  • The "Add Face" button will appear in the Info (below the keywords), when viewing the photo enlarged, but will not work, if you are in Edit mode. Close the Edit view, if you are in Edit view. The faces circles are hidden in this view.

If you are using iCloud Photos and the photo or video needs downloading from iCloud, it may take a while, until the "Add Faces" button appears.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 3:34 AM in response to arie213

On the iPhone it is not possible at all to add missing faces, that Photos has not detected automatically.

In Photos for Mac, you may want to enable the Faces circles to be always shown, as long as you are tagging faces.

• Go to the menu bar and enable "View > Show Face Names".
  • Now you should be able to see the circles, when you are viewing a photo enlarged.
  • The "Add Face" button will appear in the Info (below the keywords), when viewing the photo enlarged, but will not work, if you are in Edit mode. Close the Edit view, if you are in Edit view. The faces circles are hidden in this view.

If you are using iCloud Photos and the photo or video needs downloading from iCloud, it may take a while, until the "Add Faces" button appears.

"add faces" button is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.