Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After iTunes update it will not open when iPhone XR is plugged in

Prior to iOS update to v14 iTunes had stopped opening when I plug in my iPhone XR. After update to iTunes BackUp fails initially but works on a second attempt. Uninstalling and re-installing iTunes and resetting the iPhone several times has not corrected the issue. iTunes still does not open upon plugging the iPhone in (yes I've double checked the settings in iTunes). Manually opening iTunes and plugging the iPhone in shows that both the PC and iTunes see the iPhone, at which point the Back Up fails. Lightning cable works fine when plugged into a secondary PC with an older version of iTunes.

iTunes version 12.10.9.3

iPhone iOS version 14.0

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 5:51 AM

Hello MouseInCA,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We we understand it, you may be running into some issues with iTunes not opening and with a backup failing.

It may be helpful to double-check these steps as a start: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Regarding the backup issue, do you see a specific message? This resource has some good steps: If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup

Kindest regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2020 5:51 AM in response to MouseInCA

Hello MouseInCA,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We we understand it, you may be running into some issues with iTunes not opening and with a backup failing.

It may be helpful to double-check these steps as a start: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Regarding the backup issue, do you see a specific message? This resource has some good steps: If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup

Kindest regards.

Sep 28, 2020 7:22 AM in response to ryane77

Obviously you didn't even read what I wrote. My PC and iTunes both recognize my iPhone. It is not an issue with the Lightning Cable, since I can plug it into another PC with an older version of iTunes and it opens when I plug in the iPhone. As I stated, all of these worked prior to the latest 'update' for iTunes, we used to be able to download older versions of iTunes, but that no longer is available. Only the latest version is available for download. As I said everything works fine on a PC that doesn't have the latest iTunes.

After iTunes update it will not open when iPhone XR is plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.