Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shared Mailbox IMAP iOS14 Problem

Hello

Guys!

I do not know you guys having issue with (IMAP) shared mailbox after iOS 14. since I updated my iPhone my shared mail box is not synchronizing and not retrieving mails and folders.

Even I deleted account and reset again nothing changed.

My Settings is (also see screenshots)

Name: Name of Shared Box

email: sharedmail@domain.com

Description: Description

Host Name: outlook.office365.com

User Name: usermail@domain.com\sharedmail

Password: *****

SSL: On 

SMTP: smtp.office365.com

Username: usermail@domain.com

Password: ****

SSL: On 

Anyone has idea?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 11:04 PM

Hi guys,

I fixed this issue on a iPhone 8 with iOS14.1 installed by setting a password on my shared mailboxes.

• go to office365 management panel
  • go to users/active users
  • select shared mailbox
  • click on set password below mailbox name
  • set a password
  • go to the mailbox on your iOS device, config is like you would before
  • remove the mainaccount@ and the slash, leaving only the shared mailbox address
  • enter the new password for the box

Should be working again

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2020 11:04 PM in response to bugraguner

Hi guys,

I fixed this issue on a iPhone 8 with iOS14.1 installed by setting a password on my shared mailboxes.

• go to office365 management panel
  • go to users/active users
  • select shared mailbox
  • click on set password below mailbox name
  • set a password
  • go to the mailbox on your iOS device, config is like you would before
  • remove the mainaccount@ and the slash, leaving only the shared mailbox address
  • enter the new password for the box

Should be working again

Oct 15, 2020 3:09 PM in response to guruuno

Hello guys, hard to say who produced this problem. The root cause of this problem is, because Microsoft changed authentication method for IMAP to OAuth 2.0 only for o365 accounts (web dialog asking for password). Before this change you could use username and password for IMAP. Apple do not implement OAuth 2.0 for IMAP.

I'm not sure it OAuth 2.0 is an commnon standard and whis company is guilty. If Microsot who increased security or Apple who did not implemented new protocol.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/announcing-oauth-2-0-support-for-imap-and-smtp-auth-protocols-in/ba-p/1330432

Oct 7, 2020 11:53 AM in response to bugraguner

Following! Ever since I did the 14.0.1 update - cannot set up my secondary/sub exchange email account as an IMAP. Before I had no problem. I finally had to set up the account in Outlook app on my iPhone and that worked.

Totally frustrated that I have called Apple twice about this and both times they've told me it's a Microsoft problem. It is NOT a Microsoft problem and I wish Apple would have at least admitted to that. Very glad I found this string - at least I know I'm not the only one.

Oct 19, 2020 11:08 PM in response to bugraguner

Hi

i don’t think issue come from change in authentication method done by microsoft.

firstly i’m still able to retrieve microsoft shared mailbox using imaps on ios13

I’m also able to retrieve native microsoft mailbox using imaps on ios14

issue only occur for shared mailbox on ios14

it’s just a bug on ios14 that need to be patched by apple

for sure it’s linked to syntax of imap username that contain /

thanks for your help to solve this serious issue

regards

gregory

Oct 20, 2020 9:09 AM in response to Gaarby971

Concur, my colleagues who have upgraded to v14 can no longer authenticate to shared mailboxes using the 'account@domain/subaccount' syntax over SSL using password auth. I am still on v13 and have zero issues with the same server, even adding new accounts for other shared [sub] accounts using IMAP. Apple: please resolve this for your corporate customer base.

Oct 20, 2020 4:35 PM in response to sliverga

I was supposed to send back (trade-in) my original iPad Pro running iOS 13 when I received my new one but have reneged since it is my only connection, outside of my workstation, to my many shared Office365 mailboxes.

Ironically, what annoyed me most about my original iPad Pro was regardless how many times I clicked 'Authorize', it NEVER automatically updated the OS. Thank God I decided to wait for the new iPad rather than updating the old one to iOS 14.

Oct 20, 2020 5:37 PM in response to sliverga

Apple: please resolve this for your corporate customer base.

Really Microsoft's issue to resolve.

It is the app developer's sole responsibility to be compatible with iOS updates, not the other way around.

Microsoft had access to iOS 14 as it was being developed and make the necessary changes. It's very easy to blame Apple.

Jan 6, 2021 10:22 AM in response to sanderpolman

Not sure why, but I don't see a "management panel" or anything with the words "user" or "active users" on my university's Office365 home page. Do I need to be an admin to access this? In the alphabetical listing of all apps, it goes directly from "Lists" to "My Analytics". Am I missing something, or — most likely — is this a feature my IT department has not chosen to implement??

Shared Mailbox IMAP iOS14 Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.